Saturday, May 8, 2010

Comfort and Beauty Too, Oh My!!!

We were having an office pot luck and wanted to wear something comfortable so I could really "grub" that day and not worry about my belly hanging out!  You know how it is when you're at one of these social events and you've eaten so much you just want to "loosen that top button" on your pants just so you can get comfortable???  So I went on the search for a pattern that was quick and easy to make and would be comfortable too.  (I knew it would not be slacks...I've missed a few workouts, if you know what I mean!!)

I found this great dress pattern by McCalls 5877 and fell in love...
 ...and as some of you know already, I really hate gathering ruffles!  Was I losing my mind or just a glutton for punishment!! (I think it's the latter!)   Well I really didn't have to go far to find the perfect fabric either.  JoAnn Fabrics had this beautiful, rich purple rayon lycra knit that would be perfect for the dress!!  I was now in heaven and couldn't wait to get started. 

This project turned out so wonderful, it's now one of my favorite dresses!!!  This is THE MOST comfortable dress I own.  It's so figure forgiving...not only did I get the comfort I was looking for, but the dress is gorgeous!! (in my opinion, that is).  I received so many compliments from the ladies at work and one of the guys even mentioned how cute he thought it was!  Now that's praise...guys usually never comment!!

The only change I made on this one was the hems of each tier.  I decided to serge them rather than leaving unfinished as the pattern instructed and used a slightly lighter thread color for a little contrast...


I would "Highly" recommend this pattern to everyone who sews and although, it turned out to be one of my nicest projects, I probably won't sew it again because it's so unique. (and because of all the gathering too!! ) :)   My pictures above don't really do the dress justice, so here's a picture of me wearing it...





So off to start my next project!  Happy Sewing!

3 comments:

  1. What a knock out dress!!!! Lovely model, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've debated getting this pattern, but now I think I must! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress and the color looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....