Sunday, May 23, 2010

Nice Summer Skirt

I was sitting in my sewing chair this morning looking all the left over scraps of fabrics I had from some recently completed projects when this cream colored knit caught my eye.  I only had about 1-1/4 yards of this fabric (in two pieces).   I believe it's a cotton lycra knit I got from JoAnn Fabrics for a jacket I made a few months ago.  I decided to make a skirt with it and choose New Look pattern 6898. (I made and reviewed this pattern on Pattern Review.com)  This pattern was created for woven fabrics, but I knew I could convert it easily.   So I selected View C with the ruffle, but decided to change a view things.  Here's the first view of my completed project:

 
The first item I changed was removing the zipper in the back.  It really wasn't needed since this is a knit.  To do this, I placed the back pattern piece on the fold of the fabric extending it 5/8 inch beyond the fold edge. I also elected not to make the ruffle in the back, so I had to extend the hem of the back pattern piece by 4 inches to accomodate the space where the ruffle would have been.  Now we have a seamless straight back which is a very nice look.


 The last change was the waistband.  The original pattern had a small 1-1/2 inch waistband connecting with the zipper in the back.  I added a folded waistband similar to those on some jogging pants. The waistband only has one seam in the back which is shown below (front and back view).  This change made the skirt, ohhhhh so comfortable!


All in all, I'm very happy with my changes to this pattern, they helped turn my few scraps of fabric into a fabulous skirt for summer!

5 comments:

  1. Very well done! Love the "new" look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your modifications. The skirt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the skirt. I think I am going to have to buy it. It is really flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. If I could sew like this I would have such beautiful clothes too. It is difficult for me to imagine how you came up with this flirty little skirt what with all the changes. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email