Saturday, July 10, 2010

Project Runway in My Sewing Room!

Hi everyone, as part of my "Sew dresses and accessories" challenge, this is my very first "Project Runway" inspired pattern!    I selected Simplicy 1833 View A, the sleeveless version.  While I think it's a cute dress, it was a little challenging for me.  This was because I decided to follow the designers tips and add some of the detailing they suggested (the piping).  I truly love the look, but it was definitely time-consuming work and not my best but I'm ok with it since this is my muslin (albeit a "wearable muslin"). 

Thinking back now, I should have brought the piping all the way up from the pockets to meet the collar.  What's that old saying..."hind-sight is 20-20"!  Oh well!  An issue I had was with the zipper in the back.  I always find it difficult when patterns have you install the zipper after the garment is completed.  That was the case with this one too and I did well until I got to the top where it started puckering on me. (I had pinned and hand basted too)  I'll need to really work that out on my next one (yes, I'm going to make this one again!)


I decided to line the dress since the fabric I used, was a somewhat see-thru polyester crepe with a slight stretch.  I made a size 12 and the dress fit nicely because of the slight stretch in the fabric, but the lining was too tight!  Oh my gosh I was sooooo frustrated!!  So I would have to say this pattern runs small everyone!  I did fix the lining and it worked out ok, but not without a lot of work! (I hate taking things apart and re-doing!!!).  Here is a picture of the inside lining...

The issues I had, were solely, as they say "user error" and not the fault of the pattern!  The instructions and the designer tips were very easy to follow and I would highly recommend this pattern to anyone who likes this style.  All in all, I think it turned out pretty well and I'm definitely going to remake this one! 


Now I'm off to post on the second dress I complete this week!

14 comments:

  1. This dress is lovely!!! You look spectacular! What a great look and I agree with you that the piping details take this dress to a whole new level. I understand your frustration with the zipper. I used to have the same problem and to get around it I sew my zippers in the back pieces before I actually sew the back pieces together. That way I can work out any weird wrinkles when I sew below the zipper. I can't wait to see your next dress. You always pick the cutest dresses:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip and your very nice comments Victoria. I will try your suggestion on the next one I make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress looks great, very professional looking. I think you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job. Your dress looks like something from a designer boutique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way is that dress a muslin.. it looks awesome on you. The piping detail is a lovely touch.

    Thank you for the lovely compliment on my tanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO cute! I've been eyeing that pattern, but I've already bought sooo many... Maybe just ONE more...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute! And I have to agree with Victoria—the piping makes this altogether a different dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your wearable muslin turned out like a RTW! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great "muslin"! It turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You all are wonderful! Thank you for your very nice comments. I hope my next one turns out as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely dress, so worth all the effort to do those designer details!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I miss this post? This is a great dress! I love the contrast. Great job. I wish my first time arounds can come out this great!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email