Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dusting Off an Old Pattern

I've had this pattern for a long time, McCalls 5389 and finally decided to sew it up. I made View C/E (the longer shrug and tank)

I wonder why there's only two reviews on it, maybe because it's an older pattern. Either way, it is a very nice one! I used an Electric Royal Blue 100% Rayon Lycra knit from highendfabrics.com.  I'm not sure why I chose this color because it's quite strong. Maybe because blue is my favorite color, however I normally lean towards softer, lighter tones of blue. I'll have to choose carefully what I pair this with to make it work for me. (white pants for sure, maybe gray too)

This is another really quick pattern that can be made up in a few hours. I really like the shrug and can see making a few if these as coverups for other dresses and tops! I didn't like the instructions for sewing the straps on the tank, they were a little cumbersome to handle. 

However, it's a really nice tank when done and fits very well.  I'll need to work on a better process for adding the straps later, because I could use a few of these tanks in a variety of colors. All in all, this pattern gets a "thumbs up" from me.  Both pieces fit very nicely straight out of the envelope with no adjustments. I believe it's currently out of print, so if it's your style, you can purchase the pattern here while supplies last.  I highly recommend it.


Okay, my sewing machine's calling me...thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely top---the color and style suits you so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that color on you as well as the fit! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to post this. Of course it is sitting in my collection also. Sometimes I think I like to frustrate myself with difficult patterns when all the time this gem is just waiting for me. You blue top is wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. The color is so beautiful and it compliments you. It looks great

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....