Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Dress That Almost Didn't Happen!

I was invited to a wedding this past Saturday and of course I wanted to make something to wear!  Well between my job and chores at home, I never started my dress until Friday!  I decided on McCalls 6281... 
 
Not to fret I told myself, because the pattern says EASY!  No problem!   I decided to make the print version above (View C) with the double slits in the back.  I selected an ITY Knit I found at JoAnn Fabric because it really looked very close to the same print on the envelope.  So far so good I thought!  

Well they were correct, the pattern was easy to put together.  However, I never imaged by looking at the pattern that those slit openings would be sooooo wide!  I didn't have enough time to do a muslin, but this would have been a very good example of why to make one, I would have changed the back considerably!  I really, really didn't like the way it looked!  The front was ok, however the back reminded me of a dominatrix costume! I was horrified!  Trying to make it look somewhat better, I made it so much worse by adding extra fabric to the two bottom openings, which ended up looking like a 2 year old stitched it!  Can you say NIGHTMARE!!
The wedding was the very next day and I didn't have anything I wanted to wear!  I got up Saturday morning after hardly having any sleep and thought about it, scrabbled through my TINY fabric stash and found some leftover brown stretch woven fabric I felt could work for a dress!  So I frantically went through my patterns looking for inspiration and came up with the old pattern from Simplicity 9171. 
This was another easy pattern with only 4 pattern pieces and I'd made it once before as a sun dress so I thought, I might have a chance to get a dress made (thank goodness I was alone this morning).   Needless to say, I worked my little tail off and miraculously completed the dress in 3, yes 3 hours!  I made a couple of changes to the pattern by shortening it to a fun, party length, making it a little more fitted, rather than A line and added an invisible zipper. I had to run out to the fabric store to get the zipper, because I didn't have one long enough!  and by golly...I did it! 

I can't tell you how many times someone mentioned how much they liked my dress (sorry I didn't get pictures of it on).  When I told them I'd just threw it together that morning, I got the "yeah right"!  So I was really one happy lady!  Here's what I wore to the wedding...
Another disaster avoided by some quick sewing skills!  I'm sure some of you out there have had similar stories and can relate!  Next time I'll run out and get RTW!

Happy Sewing!

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful pattern switch. Love your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... the brown dress is super chic. Just perfect for a wedding. I love the twist in the back. The blue dress...hmmm. Those cut outs are so strange aren't they? But sometimes these types of patterns are intriguing, and you just don't know how they will work out until you try them. Yay for you for trying it out! My current project, I'm not too sure about, but I'll be posting it soon regardless :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I like the brown one better than the print anyway! I like the way it lays and it looks ultra chic!! Nice job, chica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your chica dress... my favorite words for club dresses with cut outs... lol You did an awesome job in three hours... love the dress and the pearl necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes those "cute" little dresses have hidden chanllenges. The second dress is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them both. Myra you can still work the print one girl! Have you ever tried to stick on bras that have the clasp in the front and tabs on the side with cups that stick. It is totally backless and they work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well whether you make one top or two it will be just wonderful having you be a part of it! I'll add you on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much ladies, for your great comments and support!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email