Thursday, April 28, 2011

Blue Print to Blue Jeans

I've been taking a blue jeans fitting class called "Blue Print to Blue Jeans", instructor Jennifer Stern on the Pattern Review website. It's really been an awesome class too!  So I've not focused on anything else but making these Jeans. I am really pleased with this class and my jeans turned out PERFECT!!  This is the second pair of jeans I've made and the best fitting.  I truly believe it's because of what I learned in this class.  I've already ordered more denim to create another pair with my new custom fitted pattern! 

I started with the Jalie 2908 Jeans pattern (a favorite pattern!)...
...and with my new education and a few design changes, this pattern turned into a pair of great fitting "handmade" jeans!  I used a light weight black denim that has a small amount of lycra from Mood Fabrics and I decided to use a contrasting Gold top stitching.  The fit is perfect, not to tight or to loose!

Some of the design changes I made were, changing the flared leg to a boot cut; I made the waistband a two-piece waistband.  I had a problem with it, because I cut the center back on the fold and unfortunately it stretched a little when I attached it.  I didn't realize it until I was done!  (should have used a stabilizer!)  Well it's not to bad so I left it.  You won't notice it because I always wear a belt with my jeans!  I did correct the pattern for future projects.  I added one inch wide belt loops, just for style; I added pointed flaps to the back pockets and I also added rivets to the front and back pockets.  I am really pleased with the results!

I really wanted a nice pair of "Skinny Jeans" (yep, even though I'm not skinny, LOL!!) and now I can make my own!!  So we'll see what happens!  I really, really love the comfort of these jeans and I'm so happy I took the class and was able to get them done in time for the end of the "Bottoms Up Challenge".

Now I'm off to my next project...Happy Sewing!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

My "Sex in the City" Top

My last top for the "Over The Top" challenge was supposed to be Simplicity 2254 in a pale peach mystery fabric...
Well that didn't happen and there is no wadder to show! It was such a total bust, I had to trash the darn thing!  I'm not feeling bad about it because I had another lined up to work on I was excited to get to it!  There's no pattern for this one, I drafted it from an inspiration piece I saw online at for $685!!   I'm going on a "Sex in the City" girls night out and was searching for something to inspire me, well the Saks top did it, but there's no way I can afford that price!  Thank goodness I know how to sew! 

 I found this beautiful piece of stretch silver lame at JoAnn one day while shopping with a friend and thought it matched a pair of chrome sandals I've had for a while. My first thought was how cool these (the shoes & top) would be together with a pair of rhinestone jeans I have and sure enough, it worked! This top was such a simple one to create...there wasn't much to it, most of the work was searching for the right material and I lucked up on that!

(I should have pulled it down in the back, please excuse my wrinkles!) I really like how I was able to bring the side ruffle up just high enough to show a tiny peek of skin above the waistband of my jeans, I think it's so sexy but not to much!! (don't want to show any rolls now do I, LOL!!)

This is really a fun top and I'm sure I'll make another is a less fancy fabric! It would make a cute little summer tank!

Monday, April 4, 2011

My Gold Trench Dress

Wow, I really like the style of the trench coat dress when Toy of Life Happens Be Positive posted hers was beautiful, stylish, classic lines, everything I don't have in one dress, currently in my closet.  I just started making more dresses (maybe that's one of the reasons!)  Either way, I think at least one of these is a "must have" for all ladies!  I chose the same pattern and view Toy used, McCalls 6279 (the gold one)
I agree with her about the ease in putting this one together!  However, it probably took a little longer for me, because I decided to line it. I really wanted my dress to be as close to the envelope view as I could get it, so I used a really nice golden olive stretch cotton sateen from Fashion Fabrics Club.  The fabric was really inexpensive at $5.75 a yd and I only required 2.5 yds, not bad!  I know I spent more for the buttons and lining...I used rayon bemberg since I'll be wearing this in the spring/summer and it's very light weight! (and we all know this lining is a little bit pricey but so nice and cool against the skin)...
 I basically made this dress straight from the envelope with no adjustments and the fit was great for me.  I did make a couple of changes though, like adding the lining I mentioned above. 

I didn't have any gold bias tape for the armhole, so I made bias strips from the same fabric, serge the edge and top stitched it.  I really like the way it turned out.  I also used larger buttons than the recommended 1".  I used 1-1/8" for the front and smaller 7/8" for the back belt loops and epaulets.
 I really like this one so much, I'm going to make another in black with short sleeves for the winter months!  I'm currently searching for the same fabric in black.  

 So I give this pattern a "two-thumbs up"!  I love this dress!  So if it's your style, please give it a try!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

I Joined the Tops Challenge...

Faye from Adventures in Sewing started a Tops challenge and I joined it.  It runs for two weeks April 1st thru 15th, so I'll be sewing my little fingers off for the next two weeks.  You can view those tops anytime by selecting the link in my side bar on the left.