Thursday, April 28, 2011

Blue Print to Blue Jeans

I've been taking a blue jeans fitting class called "Blue Print to Blue Jeans", instructor Jennifer Stern on the Pattern Review website. It's really been an awesome class too!  So I've not focused on anything else but making these Jeans. I am really pleased with this class and my jeans turned out PERFECT!!  This is the second pair of jeans I've made and the best fitting.  I truly believe it's because of what I learned in this class.  I've already ordered more denim to create another pair with my new custom fitted pattern! 

I started with the Jalie 2908 Jeans pattern (a favorite pattern!)...
...and with my new education and a few design changes, this pattern turned into a pair of great fitting "handmade" jeans!  I used a light weight black denim that has a small amount of lycra from Mood Fabrics and I decided to use a contrasting Gold top stitching.  The fit is perfect, not to tight or to loose!


Some of the design changes I made were, changing the flared leg to a boot cut; I made the waistband a two-piece waistband.  I had a problem with it, because I cut the center back on the fold and unfortunately it stretched a little when I attached it.  I didn't realize it until I was done!  (should have used a stabilizer!)  Well it's not to bad so I left it.  You won't notice it because I always wear a belt with my jeans!  I did correct the pattern for future projects.  I added one inch wide belt loops, just for style; I added pointed flaps to the back pockets and I also added rivets to the front and back pockets.  I am really pleased with the results!



I really wanted a nice pair of "Skinny Jeans" (yep, even though I'm not skinny, LOL!!) and now I can make my own!!  So we'll see what happens!  I really, really love the comfort of these jeans and I'm so happy I took the class and was able to get them done in time for the end of the "Bottoms Up Challenge".

Now I'm off to my next project...Happy Sewing!

14 comments:

  1. These are fabulous!!!! I made my first pair of Jalie 2908 this year and I loved them. You've inspired me to make another pair. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the jeans. I too am taking the class but have gotten a little side tracked. I have the muslin fitted but just haven't sewn up the real pair yet. Yours have inpired me to get going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic job on those jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are so right, these jeans are perfect and you look fantastic wearing them. Congrats, they take a lot of time to fit and sew right but now you've got one terrific pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning!! I love the design changes you have made - your jeans look very special and, of course, the fit is perfect. I am still working on mine but hope to finish soon. Like you, I've really enjoyed the class and have learnt a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Those look really, really good. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! Really nice fitting and looking jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! Great looking jeans and a perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Myra,
    YES! I have lots of girls who want to learn to sew! I have three extra sewing machines that they could use, but I have yet to find a location in which to hold the classes. Everywhere I check wants TOO MUCH MONEY for the use of the space, and I don't want to charge the girls because some of them really wouldn't be able to pay. I'll keep looking for a place though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so envious of these jeans and the class you took. It looks like you gained some valuable fitting knowledge. Great job! I need to pull this pattern out and give it a whirl. I just don't wear jeans that often anymore, but to have a perfect fitting pair would be invaluable, especially for mainland trips and cool evenings. Thanks for taking a minute to comment on my blog. I really appreciate your input!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look really great in it. You did such a good job for the fitting. Sorry to take so long to check out your blog. I love your work. The gold yellow dress was hot hot hot... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Myra, I just found your blog via patternreview.com, while reading reviews for patterns I intend to do, and I have to say you are now one of my FAVORITE bloggers!!!

    I bought this Jalie Jeans pattern a while back. You are inspiring me to pull this pattern out (soon anyway), and give it a try. I researched the "Blue Print to Blue Jeans" class that you took, and signed up to be notified when it is available again. I also bookmarked the jeans sew along from a couple of years ago (also on patternreview.com), and hope to read through it. There are a ton of photos and tips there.
    Thank you SO much for sharing your talent and photos of your projects.
    ~June

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....