Monday, April 4, 2011

My Gold Trench Dress

Wow, I really like the style of the trench coat dress when Toy of Life Happens Be Positive posted hers here...it was beautiful, stylish, classic lines, everything I don't have in one dress, currently in my closet.  I just started making more dresses (maybe that's one of the reasons!)  Either way, I think at least one of these is a "must have" for all ladies!  I chose the same pattern and view Toy used, McCalls 6279 (the gold one)
I agree with her about the ease in putting this one together!  However, it probably took a little longer for me, because I decided to line it. I really wanted my dress to be as close to the envelope view as I could get it, so I used a really nice golden olive stretch cotton sateen from Fashion Fabrics Club.  The fabric was really inexpensive at $5.75 a yd and I only required 2.5 yds, not bad!  I know I spent more for the buttons and lining...I used rayon bemberg since I'll be wearing this in the spring/summer and it's very light weight! (and we all know this lining is a little bit pricey but so nice and cool against the skin)...
 I basically made this dress straight from the envelope with no adjustments and the fit was great for me.  I did make a couple of changes though, like adding the lining I mentioned above. 

I didn't have any gold bias tape for the armhole, so I made bias strips from the same fabric, serge the edge and top stitched it.  I really like the way it turned out.  I also used larger buttons than the recommended 1".  I used 1-1/8" for the front and smaller 7/8" for the back belt loops and epaulets.
 I really like this one so much, I'm going to make another in black with short sleeves for the winter months!  I'm currently searching for the same fabric in black.  

 So I give this pattern a "two-thumbs up"!  I love this dress!  So if it's your style, please give it a try!

18 comments:

  1. And my two thumbs are up, too! Be.you.tiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a show stopper, I can't stop looking it it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright Diva, you are looking FABULOUS in this number. This pattern is in my queue and I would have never thought to make it in such a bold and daring fabric. I love your style---you look gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dear, you are looking GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! You did a wonderful job on this dress inside and out. I love the color. You went all out and held nothing back. Kudos......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous dress! Pretty fabric and its a great fit on you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous!! The color and fit is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dress looks great on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a knockout! I have this pattern as well, and I love your version of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! That dress is a winner. it looks fabulous on your and I love your color choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous dress and love the idea of larger buttons and lining. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You go girl!! Looks completely RTW but better!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your version of this dress! I made the navy version of this on PR (with the sleeves), and I absolutely adore the fit and design of this dress. So glad to see others making it, because I think everyone needs a version of it! :D You look absolutely lovely in it, and I can't wait to see your black version.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dress and you in it are drop dead gorgeous. I really love it. How nice to have lined it! I think I need to take a look at this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did I miss seeing this dress, it is beautiful! Best of luck with your jeans class!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look stunning in this dress! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great job it looks awesome on you!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email