Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Two Piece Dressing

Butterick 5450 and Simplicity 2258 were used to create my new dress.  I love two-piece dressing, it seems to work better for my body style.  Since I'm so short-waisted, some one piece dresses that define the waistline, tend to make me look funny!  Like the  trench coat dress a little while back, I no longer wear it because of this very problem and I love that dress!  Not going to be the case with this one!  I love the styling of the Butterick top 5450 (View A the blue one)...
There were a few reviews on Pattern Review that mentioned problems with the front pleat gaping.  So I decided to do a full bust adjustment right off the bat.  Thank goodness I did, because the center pleat was gaping terribly on my muslin and the adjustment worked to correct it!!  I also added an invisible zipper in the side seam too. (I'm really getting pretty good with installing these!!)

I used Simplicity 2258 (View C; model wearing) for the skirt part of the dress...
Because I was using this as skirt for my dress bottom, I omitted the belt.  I also had to lengthen the skirt by 4 inches!!  It's reallllllly short ...cute for ladies from "Sex in the City, not so much for ladies from "Golden Girls"! (I belong in the latter!)  But I really like the styling of this skirt, especially with the front pockets.     

These separates are really nice and who doesn't love having options for building your wardrobe!  I've worn the top with my white jeans and it looked awesome. (Sorry I didn't get any pictures of me in it, I'll try to get some later).    However, together these pieces make a really cute dress (which is what I really wanted)...

It's sooo cute on too! I do love this dress!  The fabric is a linen blend I purchased at Hancock Fabrics and because it's a blend, you can put it in the washer and dryer with no problems.  So with a few minor adjustments to these patterns...I got two great pieces!  Oh how I love to sew!!

Thanks for stopping by, talk with you again soon!!  On to my next project!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

McCalls 6164, A Really Nice Detailed Tee...

I was a little leary about this pattern at first, but that was a wasted moment...this is a really nice pattern! It sews up quickly despite the gathering on the sleeves, which I'd say, is a very cute design! It's a smart way to add a little pazazz to an otherwise plain tee. I like the fit & style of this pattern.  I made View A (the pink one)  

The only change I made, was to raise the front a little so I wouldn't have any cleavage showing, since this is for work. However, the envelope picture was deceiving, because it's not really that low. This pattern is pretty much true to size. I normally make a size small with tees or sweaters, but for some silly reason I cut this one a medium & had to alter to make it fit me!! Now that was pretty stupid!!!  I used a rayon, polyester knit from Joann Fabrics in a chocolate color. I made this specifically to go with a skirt I self drafted last year in a cute animal print. (review here)  

 I definitely plan on making this one several times before the trend goes away, it's truly a nice one!!
I've also completed a two piece dress and need to publish my post for it shortly. Thanks for reading and hope you stop by again soon!!!