Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Butterick Pattern...Not My Fav!


I found this cute fabric at Hancock and thought I would make me a top with it.  So I selected a pattern I bought last year but had never used yet.  Butterick 5484 seemed to be a perfect candidate.  The pattern was pretty easy to put together and quick too.  However, the "twist" goes together quite differently than any other I've sewn.  It's not actually a "twist" so to speak.  The front is actually gathers that are hand sewn (tacked) to the back gathers (interesting).  It is a very different way of creating this look.  If I ever decide to make this one again, I would have to develop a new sewing process for creating the same look.  They also don't tell you to finish the edge of the front facing before you put it together, so that's something else you really need to be aware of.  Lastly, this top is really, really short!!!  If I do make it again, I will need to add at least 4-5" so that it hits me just above my hip where I like my tops (and I'm short-waisted!!!)


All in all, I do love the look of this top and if I do make it again, I will definitely need to make the changes I listed above!  I've only worn it once and don't think I'm going to keep this one since it's so short.  It will probably go to Goodwill for some one else to get some use out of it. :(

On another note, I'm just getting back from spending 4 glorious days with my beautiful grandchildren!  The first thing they wanted to do with Grandma was go see Cars 2 (3-D).  That was a lot of fun...it really was a great show!  Then it was off to Go Carts, Laser Tag and Miniature Golf.  I already miss them so much, but I am sooo tired!!!

I love this picture of my granddaughter!!

Now I'm preparing for an upcoming HUGE vacation for 10 glorious days!  It's going to be a first for me and so looking forward to it!  I will tell you more about the trip later.  But now, I must get busy completing my new vacation wardrobe!  I'm really looking forward to creating this new wardrobe too!  I've just started the list if items I want to make before I leave and will be posting each piece(s).   To start, these are some of the items I think I'll need to work on first...
4 Sundresses
6 Tops
3 Pairs of Capris
4 Pairs of Shorts

...and of course, I'll need something very fancy / formal too!!  See ya in the sewing room!  Thanks for stopping by and Happy Sewing!!! 

5 comments:

  1. Wow your upcoming vacation and sewing plans sound amazing. I really love your top, sorry it turned out so short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myra!
    Cute pic of your granddaughter, Go Karts are so much fun.
    The top is so cute - would attaching a solid border at the bottom do anything for you? I missed that fabric at Hancocks. Hey, I wonder if we've ever seen each other at Hancocks? You know, it's a small world.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your vacation wardrobe pieces!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. This top is so cute. You may want to consider making a band of the same or contrasting fabric at the hem to add length. If it fits well everywhere else, it would be well- worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great top. The colors nad the print are too cute! Have fun with your vacation. I know it is well deserved. Can't wait to see your other pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a bummer the top is too short. It looks so cute. I can't wait to see your vacation wardrobe come together. Looks like you are going somewhere with lots of sun!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email