Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Old Pattern...New Look

Have you ever been out and noticed an outfit you just wish you could own? We all know being a sewer makes that wish so much easier! Well that very thing happened to me recently when I went to a jewelry party with a friend and saw the top she was wearing when I picked her up. I thought it was so pretty and I told her so. Days later I still had the top on my mind! So I asked her if she would mind if I tried to remake it for myself, she said sure, but needed a favor...hers was in need of repair and asked if I could fix it. Well of course I will, that would offer me another opportunity to see it one more time close up, so I did.  I decided to create one for myself and  It just so happened, I had a pattern in my stash for quite some time I've never made that was a perfect start in creating this top. McCall's 5271 (View I and the bottom band from view F) is what I used, but I also needed to draft a center piece for the middle of the front (draft piece below). 


I would also get to use my jewelry making skills (I'm currently a novice but working on it every chance I get to improve).  I needed to create a functional necklace to hold the center portion of top like a halter. Here's the final look...


 I texted a picture of the top to my friend to see what she thought, her response was..."That is gorgeous, I want one!"... I think she meant "another" one! Either way, I took that as a "thumbs up" since she had the original! My friend's top is in a lovely shade of Lilac and out of respect for her, I never plan on wearing it at the same time we're together!  Sorry, I don't have a photo of hers.

My fabric was purchased from Fabric Mart and is a canary yellow Bamboo knit with a very, very soft hand and a wonderful drape. The pattern was super quick & easy to make including my drafted piece! Absolutely no other alterations were made or needed! The necklace is made of beads I purchased from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I bought ceramic beads in variegated colors of brown & gold. I also purchased some smaller metal "pinwheels" for accent. The tiny black beads were from my stash. I used standard beading wire to connect everything at the neckline and added a "lobster claw" closure for the back of the necklace.  I do love this top and think it makes the perfect addition to my vacation wardrobe! What do you think?

Thanks for stopping by, talk with you again soon!!

 HAPPY SEWING!







13 comments:

  1. That is a VERY cute top! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I THINK it's fabulous!! That's a lot of skill...so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your top is so lovely...I have one almost similar in orange, your top is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!!! I was JUST trying to make a similar top but with short sleeves out of the McCalls 6355. I may have to scoop this pattern up from ebay instead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute top, Myra. It'll be perfect for the vaycay. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is stunning! I want one too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful - I love the style, it's stunning, and the colour is very pretty! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This top is amazing. I love the beaded necklace idea to hold the center up. You will look gorgeous in this color and style on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this!! Very unique in the sewing world. You also got to merge all your crafts which is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. FABULOUS!!!... I want one tooooo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Sheila - that is fabulous! Is this part of your cruise wardrobe...if so you are going to look amazing on the cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SUPERBE !
    La couleur, le drapé, la réalisation ... bravo !

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email