Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Vacation Tops, Two Completed...

Hi everyone,  I'm moving right along with my vacation wardrobe. I'll have to post pictures of me wearing these clothes once I return from vacation because I'm just focusing on getting them done right now. (that is if I can still fit in them with all that food around me!!) 

I've completed two tops and reviewed one of the patterns once before here.  I liked McCall's 5586  so much, I wanted to take a new one along with me on this vacation.  I used a Lilac colored Rayon Lycra knit I purchased from Fabricmart.com.  This is a very, very easy and quick pattern to make and can be made in both knit and woven fabrics.  I embellished the front neck yoke using some different size and colored crystals, along with a few diamond cut black plastic stones.



It turned out really nice, accept for some areas around my smaller crystals...the glue (from my glue gun) spread around the outer edges of the crystals.  I have to find a better way of permanently adhereing these types of embellishments to fabric.  I've actually tried several different glues, but they all came off in the dryer except when I use my glue gun.  So for now, I guess this is what I'll continue to use.  If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!!

The second top I completed is new to me but has been reviewed by a few other bloggers, Vogue 8724.  It's a very nice looking dress and when I first saw it made by Knitqueenmachine, I knew I wanted to have it!   


Since this is my first time using this pattern, I paid particular attention to the issues others had with the pattern.  Specifically the armsycne being to low and gaping in the front.  In doing so, my top turned out perfect the first time...thank goodness for you sewing bloggers and pattern reviewers...God Bless each and everyone of you!!!  

I decided to make my first version a top rather than a dress.  I used a scarlet colored Bamboo knit from Fabricmart.com.   The pattern runs size 6 to 20, I made my usual size 10.   I did extend the wrap front approximately 1.5" to prevent gaping in the front.  I also extended and raised the armsync by 1" so that it wouldn't be too low. (it's always easier to cut some out if it's too tight!)  I even got the pleats in the front correct the first time!!!  My only issue with this top was my thread being just a shade or two too light!! 


I really do love this pattern...the pleating in the front is a little tricky, but if you pay attention to the photos on the guide sheet and trace your pattern markings carefully on the fabric, you'll get it too!  I'm definitely going to make this again as a top and a dress after I return from vacation!  I do recommend it to others, it's another of those "quick gratification" projects!

Next up...I'm just completeing another project using the popular "Jalie Jean" pattern...this one I'm totalling restyling!! 

Thanks so much for stopping by and giving me a moment of your time!  Talk with you again soon!

Happy Sewing!

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love sewing for vacations! Sadly I have nothing useful to add about the glue issue so I wish you good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tops are pretty! I especially love the lilac color one with the embellishments! You're going to look great on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myra, I love those fun tops. My friend Michele who embellishes everything ecommends fabric tac by Beacon http://www.beaconadhesives.com/cgfab.html
    She even embellished rubber gloves: http://sewinspirations.blogspot.com/2010/11/quick-qifts-3.html
    The Beacon site says that the reason the jewels might come off in the laundry is that the fabric wasn't pre-washed enough to remove the fabric sizing.
    Hope you have a fun vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You've been busy. That scarlet top will look dynamite on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two more pretty garments for your vacation. I've always used my glue gun to affix plastic back rhinestones and they have survived washing and drying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both of the tops. Thanks for the idea of using the Vogue pattern for a top. I think I might have to try that in the future. for the rhinestones I would probably try the glue gun as well, but what about getting the rhinestones that you can sew on, beading or a bedazzler?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tops are absolutely beautiful and look very comfortable! Enjoy them

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email