Saturday, September 3, 2011

Maxi Dress does work for me...


Ok, I know some of you were really recommending my last top/dress be made as a maxi dress.  What some of you may not know is that I was very uncomfortable wearing them outside of the house!  I saw them all over the place looking gorgeous on ladies!  In the malls, at restaurants, just everywhere I went I'd see someone in a maxi dress!  So why did I feel uncomfortable(please don't laugh)... it's because both me and the DH felt it was like having your nightgown on (pajamas, loungewear) you know, that kind of thing.  Well after a couple of private email messages from some of you, I thought I'd give it a try and I'm happy to say, that won't be a problem now!! (Thank you all!!) 

I decided to use McCalls 6326, View C (leopard print) and definitely needed to make a muslin first.  Especially since I'd never made this pattern before and there were only a couple of reviews on the view I wanted to make. (there were issues with that one too...everyone else made view D - pink one shoulder). 

While this is definitely a very, very easy, quick pattern to make, there was only one issue  I noticed.  I hate to say it again, but the length of the "keyhole" in front at the bottom of the twist, is much too long and shows all your girls!  I think the reason is, these types of tops are designed for women who are not as "curvy" on top, if you know what I mean!  So I ended up figuring out how to shorten the "keyhole" so it was modest enough for me and my girls! :)  It was a very, very minor adjustment to the pattern too.  Step 3...where you stitch to the circle, move the circle higher...in my case 2.5" higher. (If someone needs me to be more specific, let me know and I'll post it).  After that, this top is perfect!! (and oh so comfortable!)   Here's my muslin/sample (which turned out very wearable too!)... 

This is such a nice pattern and look once completed, I couldn't wait to make a maxi dress out of it!!!  I started immediately and completed the maxi dress in the same day!!!  Now how's that for a quick pattern!!! My muslin fabric was left over from another top just recently made.  It's a Canary yellow bamboo from Fabricmart.   I love, love, love it!!

The fabric for my maxi dress is also from Fabricmart and is an ITY knit.  Other than the change noted above and lengthening the bottom half to make this a maxi dress, this creation was a breeze!!  I can't wait to wear it out and the DH absolutely loves it! 


I didn't want to wait until I returned from the cruise to show you how it looked on me, so I please excuse the "no makeup" face!!! (I got up first thing this morning to take pictures).  I think this is going to be the perfect look for my cruise, don't you?...


Now all I have to do is figure out what shoes to wear other than my trusty gold "flipflops" I wear with just about everything!  I think a great pair of gladiator style espadrille wedges would be beautiful with this outfit, of course I'll have to buy some...shoe shopping, YEAH!!!

So, if this pattern tickles your fancy, it's definitely a great one to make and I highly recommend it!!  I think I'm going to make a shorter version too!  Maybe in a wild animal print! 

Well it's time to get back to the sewing machine!  Lot's more to get completed before I leave!  Thanks for stopping by and Happy Sewing!

18 comments:

  1. Myra your dress is gorgeous. I love the tropical printed fabric you suit it perfectly. Great idea on making this into a maxi by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabric is fantastic and the fit is perfect. No nightgown there. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to update a fabulous top and you look AMAZING in this dress! Perfect for a cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GIRL!!! All I can say is "FANTABULOUS!!!, and I'm just a little bit envious of the way that thing is fitting you, definitely does not look nightgownish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seriously look gorgeous in this dress. No way does that look like pajamas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both the top and the dress are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress is TDF, love everything about it, the fabric is beautiful, you will be styling on your cruise and your shoe choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The top is very pretty and the dress is Slamming. You are rocking that maxi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this dress. Your fabric is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous!! This dress is so perfect for a cruise - it screams tropical glamour and you look amazing in it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I adore this keyhole neck maxi dress, but even MORE so on you. You definitely should wear this on a cruise or an evening out of dinner and dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your fabric choice, it looks GREAT on you. You are going to have a great wardrobe for your cruise. Half the fun of a trip is preparing a great wardrobe for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dress is stunning!!! You are going to be turning heads galore!! I have that pattern and never thought to turn it into a maxi. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Myra, you're really going ALL OUT with your vacation wardrobe!!! I love this top and color. I attempted to make it before but didn't pick the right knit as you did. You've compelled me to give it another try. And I love how you transformed it into a maxi! The fabric is too cute! Can't wait to see your next versions:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are going to have some of the prettiest clothes to wear on your cruise and these are no exception. The fit and color of the green maxi dress looks fantastic. The yellow top is icing on the cake! You must be getting so excited for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, you think you fancy now, huh? You are rocking your dress! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous, girlfriend! You and the dress! Love those colors!!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email