Sunday, October 16, 2011

Twin Set for a Cause

Hi everyone!  I'm participating in the Junior Achievement Bowl-a-thon through my job.  Our team has been really busy fundraising and we decided to hold a "silent auction" this week.  Now,  I'm really not good a fundraising at all...to be honest, I really don't like doing it either!  However, when your office director puts you on the team and thinks you will do a good job...well you don't want to disappoint them!  So I worked "feverishly" calling some favors from my hotel contacts (I coordinate meetings) and ended up getting two major hotels (Hyatt and Intercontinental) to donate 2 night stays at their hotel for our auction!  It was so worth the stress!

I will be bowling for the team but also had this thought...I would donate my sewing skills and time for our auction too!  I decided to make a twin set (cardigan and tank) for the auction.  The team liked my idea but was a little concerned about timing.  They didn't want to put any extra stress on me in trying to get something created. Of course, sewing is my passion so you all know me, I'll make it happen for a great cause!

So I decided to use a TNT pattern that was very quick and stylish...Simplicity 2603 (the DKNY knockoff).

 I paired it with a cowl neck tank I designed and drafted.  I purchased a Wine colored Rayon Lycra from Joann Fabrics that was 50% off and using my VIP card, I received another 10% off of that!!  With the cost of thread, this lovely twin set a great deal at $29 to make!  I've made at least 5 of these cardigans and will probably make it again at some point too.  This is a very, very easy pattern to make and both pieces were completed in about 4 hours tops...I did it this afternoon!  The pattern instructions for this cardigan are super easy! 





I went to a consignment shop and purchased the necklace you see shown with the twin set for $10!  The total cost of this look is $39.  That's what I call the "look for less"!!  Our team agreed to start the bidding at $45 for the entire ensemble!  I hope we can get some really nice bids for it, and ultimately add to our fundraising goal!

On the vacation sewing front, I have a few more pieces completed...I'm almost done and really have to get moving since I only have about 4 weeks remaining to sew!  I'll post those pieces in a couple of days.  Wish me luck and thank you so much for stopping by!

Happy Sewing!

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the scoring the hotels.. awesome. The twinset is beautiful... good luck on the auction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, both on the sewing and the hotels. We could use you on our committee, wink - wink... Good luck on the auction, and please let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome thing you have done with the hotel stays and this gorgeous twin set! I love the color you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful set. Lovin the color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice ensemble, love the jewel color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea for you auction item!

    I have a student who makes quilts for dogs for her boxer love fund raising auction each year.
    Everyone in class donates quilting cottons for her. She keeps it simple as well and enjoys the piecing. A winning solution all around.

    www.sewingcafewithlynne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very clever of you! Great twinset! Good luck with the auction and fundraiser, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl, you just needed tp trust more on yourself. I love the flow and colours of the twinset !xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your twinset is absolutely lovely and the jewelry is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous twinset. Whoever wins this will without a doubt be happy with it!!!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....