Saturday, February 18, 2012

Gray Dress...Redo

This project was an easy one, however I made one big mistake...I didn't get off my LAZY duff to go purchase an invisible zipper in the correct color!!!

I used pattern Vogue 8685.  There were quite a few reviews out there on Pattern Review.com and I found them very helpful!  I made version A (the off-white one). I used a dark grey Ponte Roma from Fabricmart.  I must say, this was the best fabric for this pattern!  It worked like a charm and was so very easy to handle.


Some of the reviews I saw, talked about not inserting because the pattern requires a knit and they felt a zipper was unecessary...I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED!!!  I decided to insert an invisible zipper for ease of getting into and out of the dress. Well due to the "snug" (but extremely comfortable) fit and the stupid mistake of installing a "light grey" zipper, this is what I ended up with....



Needless to say, that zipper is definitely coming out because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this dress! It is so comfortable to wear and so pretty on too!   I plan on making it again in another color without the zipper or a seam in the back!   Some of the reviewers also mentioned not using the neck & arm bands the pattern instructs you to use (especially if using a heavier knit as I did). I agree with (and listened to) them this time because it would have caused these areas to stretch out.  So I serged, turned down and stitched. This worked out much better!  I truly love the pleating placement under the breast & the midrif band, it really adds style to this dress.  I've not been a fan of dresses on my body style before however, I made a pledge to myself to give dresses a try this year (and get my pudgey tummy down too!).  All in all, I think it's a very nice dress and can't wait to make the next one adding my "little touch" to it too! ("wink, wink")

 If you like this style, I would highly recommend it with the recommended modifications! 

HAPPY SEWING!

11 comments:

  1. This dress is HAWT!!!! Had to make sure that pattern is in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My impression: Looks like Florida has another winner - your dress! I love your dress. It's hard to tell what color it is - blue or grey? Of course your success made me look in the Vogue Pattern drawer in my sewing room - whew, the pattern's in there thank goodness. I've been thinking about a color blocked dress, and this pattern seems like it could be a good candidate for it. (WHAT DO YOU THINK???)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely dress and thank God for pattern review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I got some ponte to do this dress too I did in in a semi stable cheap jersey last time and wore it to death its definitely due a remake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely dress and perfect color choice. I must add that pattern to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to make this! Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is SOOO pretty! The gray color is beautiful, and the way the lines fall is nice. I think the few changes you are making will add to the beauty of this dress, and I am excited to see what it looks like on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dress is definitely worth putting in a darker zipper. The style lines are gorgeous, and I just know it's going to look fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the great work.
    To receive additional details, you could possibly
    just sort http://buzca.info/blog/view/2047/searching-essential-points-with-football-shirt into Google,
    but that wouldn't be the quickest route to good results... For faster results, check out site

    Here is my blog post jersey shirt

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....