Tuesday, May 29, 2012

McCalls 6512...Safari Look

When I first laid eyes on this top, view A (the pink onefrom McCalls 6512, I knew I wanted to make it! I love anything that has that safari style look to it! Plus I really fell in love with the way they used a chiffon type fabric to create this soft feminine look.

Well right after I saw this pattern, I saw this beautiful deep purple (although it looks blue) polyester chiffon at Mood Fabrics online. Since I really need to continue moving away from a totally black wardrobe and adding color, this would definitely fit into my new goals! So I purchased it!
The fabric is really, really soft and has a beautiful drape too! As everyone knows Chiffon is very sheer, so I knew I would need to wear a camisole that wasn't a problem.

The pattern was very easy to sew...I didn't have any problems with the instructions. There were a lot of details on on this top which means it's not a very quick sew! It took me a couple days to complete. I didn't have to make any alterations, it fit pretty good right out of the envelope. Selecting an interfacing gave me quite a challenge though. I ended up using an organza in a color close to that of the fabric. That seemed to work very well, but left me questioning whether I had selected the best option! So I ask each of you...what would you use as interfacing for chiffon? I do like it enough to make another, but I have so many things I want to make, I probably won't make it again soon. However, I would highly recommend it if you like this style.

  
Thanks for stopping by and

 Happy Sewing!























30 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Chiffon is such a beast to sew but lovely to wear. I think you chose the right interfacing. An iron on interfacing would have completely changed the chiffon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made an excellent choice in selecting the organza for that fabric. It still allowed for stability, but without the chance of bubbling which I would have been afraid of. Nice top and job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! You're correct...I was afraid of the exact same thing!

      Delete
  3. Nice color and fabric choice. It really does soften the look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I have a similar Burda Style Magazine pattern in my queue and I wasn't sure what type of fabric to use. Your fabric choice has inspired me!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaray! Good luck with yours!

      Delete
  5. This is lovely! I have ordered this pattern, and I hope that I can do half as good a job as you. Your tip to use organza is one I'll remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin! I'm sure yours will just as nice too! Good luck!

      Delete
  6. That top is soooo pretty. I like the idea of using the organza, wished I had thought of that when I made a sheer blouse. I used lightweight fusible interfacing, which worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would use organza too!! I'm so glad you reviewed this top. I've wanted to make it for a while now and even have the fabric but wasnt sure how it would work out. How does the sizing run? It looks like it's suppose to be oversized on the envelope. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DD! It is a little loose...I had to take it in a little for my comfort. It's not boxy nor is it fitted. Hope that helps and good luck!

      Delete
  8. This turned out great in the chiffon. As for the interfacing, I think you made the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juanita! I did get the perfect results using the organza.

      Delete
  9. This is so pretty Myra! I like the pocket detailing, and the color is really fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a gorgeous color and I love the lightweight fabric that was a great idea to use. Great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toy! I love working with chiffons!

      Delete
  11. Hi Myra, I just found your blog and started following, you make a lot of patterns that interest me, so I look forward to reading your previous posts and also seeing what you come up with next! And I am just thinking about making Simplicity 1916 so your comments are really helpfu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beth & welcome to my blog! Thank you so much for your kind comments! I have been bad with posting! I do have some things I need to post soon!

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful color and amazing job! I just finished working with a whole bunch of slinky polyester and it sure requires patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny yes it absolutely does! Thank you! I'll stop by your blog to take a look.

      Delete
  13. I love your top...the fabric choice was an excellent one for summer wear, and I know the organza was the perfect interfacing choice...great job!!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email