Sunday, May 6, 2012

Top Remake, Simplicity 1916 (edited post)...


Hello everyone! (revised post to include alteration instructions per request)

Sorry about the almost back to back posts on the same pattern. (I'll keep this post really short)  I really liked this top so much, I wanted to make the alterations right away so it would be ready to go the next time I wanted to make it! (and I will be making it again but won't bore you with yet another post, LOL!)

I first made it here  and there were a few things I personally didn't like...front neckline too low; extension in front much too long.

I used a Black Rayon Lycra knit from Joann Fabrics and below are the couple of changes I made:

I widened the front neckline by 1-1/2" on both right and left front
Shortened the front extension by half the size so it's not so long
Also made this one sleeveless

(per a request, I included photos of my alterations to the pattern pieces)

Not photo'd...added 1-1/2" to back neckline as well!

And here are the results...


I paired this top a white skirt I made from a Ponte Knit I purchased from Fabric Mart a while back. This is a simple pencil skirt with an elastic waist (so comfortable!). Love this outfit!

If you like this style of top, I highly recommend it with modifications. 

Thanks again for stopping by!

HAPPY SEWING!

25 comments:

  1. I saw your top. Loved it so I made it as well. Can you reexplain what you mean by widen the fronts wider shoulders or added to bring neckline closer to neck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anonymous! I've edited the post to include photos of my adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You look so sleek in this ensemble! Thank you, Myra, also for showing your alterations, very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very welcome HeathersSphere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great outfit. Thanks for the explanations of your changes...very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it and your alterations have made it perfect. One question I understand that you have widened the front pieces but does this not affect the back shoulders ? how did you get them to line up now the fronts are wider at the shoulder ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I also added 1-1/2" to the back neckline as well. I noted that in the caption under the photo of the changes. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  7. Perfect sense now Myra, thanks so much for clarifying it. I need to do this adjustment on wrap tops so I usually shy away from them or try to add clear elastic which never really works well for me. I am going to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Myra, I'm leaving you a blog award - if you are interested you can pick it up on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye, I'll be right over!

      Delete
  9. Lovely top and thanks for showing your alterations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila and you're very welcome!

      Delete
  10. The remake is just as flattering as the first. When I get around to making mine, I will certainly rise the neckline.
    Thanks again,
    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cennetta and good luck with yours!

      Delete
  11. Great outfit! I love the black top paired with the white skirt. I agree that an elastic waistband is so comfy and easy to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really nice, and it looks wonderful on you - very classy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the pics of the alterations. I just cut out my material and I wished I saw this before I took scissors to material. Oh well, there is always next time! Thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete
  14. This will be my next inspired by you knit top. Using the alterations you posted on this pattern - here I go!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fay! I was just telling my husband I needed to remake this one for myself as well. The last time I made this was two years ago and now it's starting to show signs of wear!

      Good luck to you and I can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  15. Thank you for the alterations to the neckline. i have the same problem of too much revealing at neckline. i am glad i saw this before i did any cutting. i am actually making the E version. yours looks so beautiful my next one will be that. you look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome and good luck with your top!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....