Sunday, July 8, 2012

Project Runway and Happy Birthday

Project Runway & Happy Birthday!

I'm really happy about the start of Season 10 Project Runway starting July 19th!  I got so excited, you would have thought I was getting ready to go on the show!!!  This is why...I was taking a little "looky look" at some things in my Pinterest boards when I came across this little number and thought...let's see if I could "make it work" as Tim Gunn would say!  So I set out to create this pretty little flirty top without a pattern....


I started this process by creating a muslin.  I used a yellow tee shirt cotton from my stash that I wouldn't be upset about if I messed it up.  Once I got this all pinned, adjusted and cut on Ms. Thing (my dress form), I put the pieces on my cutting table on top of pattern paper and traced the pieces so that I would have a pattern to adjust.  Well after an hour of trying to figure out how to put this together, I can say I did it! My muslin version turned out pretty good despite one small detail with the front ruffle...


...my ruffle should have come down under the breast on the right side!!!  That's ok, this is a muslin and I will fix that on my real version!  Despite that little misshap, I love it and can't wait to start on the real version!  This is actually a very nice wearable muslin!!


It was a little windy out today and I couldn't keep the ruffle from flying up!


I like this top and think it would be really nice in a knit fabric with more recovery like a Rayon Lycra knit.  This cotton knit was a little to heavy for this style, but I still like it and will definitely wear this muslin!

Also, today is my birthday and my hubby took me out to one of my favorite places...Red Lobster for King Crab!!!  Yum, Yum, Yum me and my tummy are very happy!!!



Thanks so much for stopping by and;
HAPPY SEWING!





17 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!

    Cute top, great job drafting a top for yourself. I wanted to let you know also that your last post on the white top isn't showing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! I removed that post...it wasn't ready yet.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to you!!

    Great knock-off. Can't wait to see version 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! I have to order the fabric for the next one.

      Delete
  3. Ms. Designer - you did a great job. I love the top. And happy birthday too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faye! I wish I were a designer with lots of money too!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Pretty Lady!!! You know I don't know why you keep having them because you're obviously not aging (wink)! Love your gusto in knocking off that top. I think your version turned out cute and that light yellow was a good color choice:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria! You're so very sweet! I find it hard to believe myself sometimes!! By the way,mi do love yellow almost as much as I do blue!

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday, and I agree with everyone else. You did a fantastic job on recreating that top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, and I can't wait to see your next version of this top, very cute. You inspired me on that Simplicity ? wrapped knit top, now I have made it twice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! Your top is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Sewing Sista!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! You look fantastic. Yellow suits you, and the top is very flattering. Nicer even than the one you knocked off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday and love the top on you. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you "made it work!!" Love seeing you "on the runway (boardwalk)!

    And very happiest of birthdays to you—hope this is your best year yet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome job and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....