Friday, November 16, 2012

Mother of the Groom Dress

Hi everyone, I just got back from a long vacation in Negril Jamaica where our youngest son was just married on November 10th!   What a vacation!  Before we left, I was busy making my "Mother of the Groom" dress.  Before I made it, I had to figure out (more like STRESS OUT) about what to wear to a beach wedding!  I wanted the perfect dress and stressed for weeks on what to do and what pattern I could use!  Then I had a "Project Runway" thought!  Why not create something from your own imagination...and that's just what I did!  First for the color...I selected my favorite, "baby blue", then I decided on fabric, a soft drapery knit and I was on my way!  I purchased a really great baby blue rayon/spandex jersey with a nice heavy drape.  

Now for the creation...I decided on a long sun dress.  Here is the initial sketch drawn on my Google Docs design software...


It was easy to put this one together once I looked at the sketch.  I used Tamisha Glashen's method of tracing a RTW halter top I currently owned.  Rather than leave it a halter in back, I cut the back and front almost identical.  I added a strip of 1/4" elastic to the front armhole edges to ensure no gaping around this area and then used self fabric to make the neckline binding...


Then I created a "keyhole" opening with a snap closer in the back.  Because this was a knit, I really didn't need a large opening to get into it, so this worked like a charm! 
  

Of course, I traced further down the length of the top to create this long dress version and I wanted it to "puddle" a little at the feet, since we would be on the beach.(this was more for dramatics when walking)   Now for the hard part (you know there always is at least one!)...the sash!  I used a pattern piece from Simplicity 2181 View C (the yellow one)...


I used the piece that created the sash on the right (the short one).  Instead of making one short sash, I made two that connected in the middle.  The look turned out just right and after hemming, I had the perfect dress! Do you agree this is the perfect "Mother of the Groom" dress for a beach wedding?...

  

I loved it!  This dress was so comfortable and cool to wear!  It definitely drew attention, but did not take away from the GORGEOUS bride! There were conversations after the wedding on whether I had purchased it or made it...now that was funny!  When asked by the bride if I had made it, of course I beamed with pride and told her she was correct.  I did indeed design and make my dress for their very special day!

Below are a few photos from our son and new daughter's very special day...


Parents of the bride on the left, me and my DH on the right.

  

Our son with us just before he said "I Do!"

  



Thanks for stopping by and sharing a moment of my life with me!

Happy Sewing!

23 comments:

  1. Wow! You don't look old enough to have a grown son! You have a gorgeous family.
    The dress is just perfect for a Warm weather wedding: cool, elegant, and very flattering on you. I like your son's suit, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you did a beautiful job designing your own dress. You look amazing and the color is so gorgeous on you. Congratulations to your son! He and his bride look fabulous. Wishing many blessings upon his marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look gorgeous, what a fantastic creation. Looks like a beautiful wedding, the happy couple looks great too. Lovely. And I am so impress with your dress design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job designing your dress and it looks beautiful on you! What a lovely wedding - you must be so proud of your son!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I ca say is WOW! Your dress was beautiful and I don't think you could have done better than the baby blue. What a beautiful wedding too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look amazing. What a perfect dress for Jamaica. You have a beautiful family. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an outstanding job on making your own dress and it looks fantastic on you. Congratulations to your Son and his Bride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Dress!! Congratulations to the bride and groom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Myra! Beautiful dress... and you do not look much older than your son, if not for your blog I would not have believe you have grown children!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww....How awesome Myra!!! Congrats on your sons wedding!!! Your dress was so lovely and perfect for the beach. Nice job designing and sewing it. The color and style suits you perfectly!!!! Glad you all had such a special day!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dress is beautiful and you look great. Congratulations to your son and daughter-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dress looks great and fits you so well - a perfect choice for a beach wedding. Your family is beautiful! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful dress! You look beautifl and happy! That's the most important. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You looked great, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an awesome dress! You look great in it, and very happy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh what a beautiful wedding all round. Your dress turned out stunning, you did amazing job designing and drafting it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the dress is beautiful and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a cute dress...and what a nice looking family you have. Ah....Jamaica! Many congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dress is beautiful and what a wonderful wedding! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely stunning! Congratulations and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want to add my voice and congratulate the newlyweds. Your dress was beautiful and so was wedding

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is such a gorgeous dress!! And I love the hat. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email