Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Winter Sewing

I guess I'm really slow at the gate when it comes to sewing for the seasons!  I always find myself either starting at the end of a season or I missed it altogether!  I'm going to try hard to get some winter things created that I'd really like to have!  For starters, sweaters...I don't have any NICE winter type sweaters and cardi's!  So that's where I started.  I saw this really cute shrug on TV while watching Giada on Everyday Italian (I love watching cooking shows!).  I quickly grabbed my phone and snapped a photo right off the TV!  I do this often too, because inspirations are all around us and you have to be ready right?!  Here's the snapshot of the shrug...


I thought it was such a cute shrug and would be a great staple in my wardrobe for some of those sleeveless or short sleeve tops during the winter months.

...and I happen to have a pattern in my stash that I made a few years back that would work perfectly!  McCalls 5983...


Unfortunately, I believe this pattern is currently OOP.  but if you still have it in your stash, it's worth pulling it out again!  Now when I checked my fabric stash, I had this nice sweater fabric in a dark charcoal grey.  It's a blend of acrylic/wool/rayon and I believe I purchased it from Mood Fabrics some time ago.  Turns out, this was the perfect pairing of fabric and pattern!

    

I did make a couple of design changes to the pattern.  The first change was to drop the front by 3".  I liked the look of the one Giada was wearing and since I had already made this patterm before, I knew it was going to be a bit higher in the front than I wanted.  The change worked and made the front so much more stylish!

The second change was "rounding" the hemline in the back.  The look appealed to me more than it being straight across.  This was a very quick sew...it  literally took me 2 hours of sewing time!  I really like this shrug and see another being made before the winter ends!  

Now it's time to run to the kitchen and start my Turkey Day meal!   Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to read my posts!  I truly appreciate each and every one of you and wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving!



11 comments:

  1. Your version is so much nicer than the photo on the pattern envelop! I love your fabric choice. Very chic and understated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Aren't you thrilled to have a pattern collection that will allow you to make whatever your heart desires!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yours is much nicer than the tv one. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is sooooo cute. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myra, the shrug is so pretty, and that color will look great on you. Happy Thanksgiving, friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this alot, great pattern selection, it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  7. This shrug is super cute and made in such a versatile color. How awesome you had a pattern in your stash to carry out the inspiration look. I think your changes were right on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute shrug! I never even noticed this pattern before. Thanks for highlighting it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this so much that I went on EBay and found the pattern! Plan to do it longer like yours, just think it is so striking and different!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the shrug...I know it looks great on you!! And I can TOTALLY relate to the need to capture those inspirational images whenever they apprear!!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email