Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Two Shirts, One Weekend


Two tops done last weekend!  One for me and the hubby.  I actually started working on one for him first, McCalls 6044. 

Photo

I really like this pattern and have made him a couple of shirts from it. (Sorry I haven't posted them)  It's easy to sew, but I did have to make a few alterations to the pattern before he had a great fit.  The standard size just didn't work for him.  I had to extend the sleeves by an inch and a half to accommodate my husband's longer arms.  I also had to add darts in the back because he likes his shirts more fitted, rather than a "boxy" look.  

I chose a brown and white Gingham check fabric I purchased from Michael Levine's online.  It's cotton with a little spandex which also helps greatly with the fit and comfort too.  With this shirt, I decided to make a contrasting collar band in a dark brown.  I also made a double button cuff just to make it a little different than the pattern.  All in all, he really likes this shirt a lot and so do I!

Hubby does not have boobies!
Hubby really does not have boobies! LOL!

  

To keep with the shirt theme for the weekend, I decided to make a shirt for myself too.  I selected Vogue 8772...


I made the sleeveless tunic (cream colored photo).  For fabric, I selected a chocolate brown 100% rayon woven from my stash.  I believe it was purchased from Joann Fabrics a little while back.  Now I have to say even I was shocked that this top fit me without any alterations!!!!  Especially using a woven fabric...that almost never happens!  But I am sure happy it did and I plan on making this a few more times too!

 
This is a really comfortable top!  I really do want to have a couple more in different colors.  

Thanks for stopping by, I have a few more things I need to post about coming up, so I have to get going!  

HAPPY SEWING!

14 comments:

  1. The side view of the brown shirt is very interesting, since it shows the armhole tilt that actually matches the way the arm hangs from the body. I need to add this pattern to my To Make list. Does this armhole bind you when you move your arms forward? It looks like it would be very comfortable to wear with no binding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julianne, the armhole is bound with a self bias strip included in the pattern. The top is extremely comfortable. That's why I'm making more of them.

      Delete
  2. Your Vogue pattern is now on my 'must have' list! Hubby's shirt is very professional looking - great sewing ... J

    ReplyDelete
  3. These shirts both look great Myra. You're brave and skilled to make Hubby's shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love making things for him (especially because he always likes and wears them!)

      Delete
  4. They both look great. I have used the same shirt pattern for my husband as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. both shirts are fantastic. I love gingham checks and the Vogue shirt for you has a nice feminine shape. I might have to check out that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I'm just getting my hubby to wear gingham checks...that was a whole other challenge! You may really like the fit on this pattern, it's really nice!

      Delete
  6. Great Job!!!! I have this pattern for my son and have yet to break it out. Now maybe I will. Since he is 13 now he needs "1" dress shirt. LOL! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! You never know, he may end up really liking it!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email