Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Baby It's Cold Outside...

Florida temperatures have dropped and baby it's really been cold outside! But our little 40 to 60 degrees during the daytime is "swimming" weather to some of those in the Midwest and the East! Brrrrrrr! I sure wish I could pack up some of our weather and ship it to you!

Seriously though, it is really chilly here in Florida and I had my eye on a really cute project, don't know if it's a trend or not, but I really like the style! Heck, maybe I'll start a trend in my area! Surfing the internet, I saw a few celebrities wearing fur vests and since I've never owned one, thought this was a good time to have one! Here are a few of the inspiration photos that sparked my latest project..

 

 

 
Now to create one of my own, I dug through my pattern stash and had to go way back to the "archive" section (way in the back of my boxes!) to find something I wanted to use. McCalls Vest Pattern 8940 had the perfect selection for me to choose from.


I used View F, the striped in the bottom row. I wanted something super simple because the fabric I selected is going to make the statement for this project! I selected a faux fur that resembles red fox fur and is so pretty, soft and luxurious! I purchased it from Michael Levine's and loved it just as much when it arrived!
     
     
But oh...hold on for a moment! Silly Myra forgot what happens when you start cutting fur..it gets all over everything! I had fur flying in places I didn't think it would go, seriously!!! Here's a snapshot of my cutting table after cutting one piece...
        

     
...and that was nothing compared to my sewing machine! But I have to say, it was so worth it and I would do it all over again to get the results of this project! My first faux fur vest and it's a success! YEAH!!
   
 
 
   
The pattern was a very simple one to put together, there were only two pattern pieces. Because it was so simple, I really didn't have to do any alterations to the pattern. Adding a lining was the only change I made to the original pattern. I used a beige colored rayon bemberg from my stash.
      
   
     
Oh there's going to be another version being made in my sewing room soon. I truly am happy with this and can't wait to take this for a test drive soon! I wasn't going anywhere in these shots, I just got all dolled up for you all!
   
 
        
 

   
 
      
   
Looks like my sewing mojo is alive and well these days, I sure hope to keep it that way for a while too!  

How about you all...does anyone currently own a faux fur vest or real fur vest? Do you like fur vest styles?




28 comments:

  1. I have a pink faux rabbits fur vest. I love it. I half don't remember to wear it, unless I check my pin boards first, since I have had it for almost 13 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Thanks for getting dolled up and showing us how great it looks on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! It was fun...I love doing the "photo shoots"! LOL!

      Delete
  3. Really cute - it looks just like your inspiration shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myra this vest is so very pretty and that fabric!!! I don't currently own a vest but just pulled faux fabric out of storage ( 3 yrs) to make one, lol. Getting over flu and flying fur didn't seem like a wise idea right now. BUT I can feel good through looking at yours. Just beautiful and you look great wearing it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda! Glad you're getting better! Yea, correct not to start cutting fur just yet...I had fur getting in my nose and eyes! It was crazy!

      Delete
  5. BTW, these vests are very popular right now! Pretty much all things furry are trending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fur vest is very pretty Myra. You styled it just right too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Faye, with today's 40 degree weather, it's perfect!

      Delete
  7. So gorgeous and stylish Myra!!! And yes it's been SUPER chilly lately. Us folks in subtropical regions don't quite know how to handle it! I too bought some faux fir (about a month ago) and look forward to making a vest too! Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria! I can't wait to see your faux fur vest,

      Delete
  8. I love this! Looks wonderful on you too. Was going to make one for my daughter and myself. Could you say how much faux fur the pattern required. Thanks, Melinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melinda! I actually purchased 1 yard of this fabric which was approx 60" wide. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  9. OMG I love this! Consider this idea stolen lol. Did you cut the lining pieces smaller or does the turn of fabric hide the lining? (Craft Addict via PR.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny and thank you! You can steal any idea you like from my blog, that's what we're all doing, "sharing the wealth"! I specifically cut the lining smaller than the fashion fabric, hope that helps!

      Delete
  10. Soooooooo cute!!!! I find when I make fur things they are far between. LOL! (I hate cleaning it up!) I do, however, have a real fur coat, two faux vests, short cape, balero jacket and the partridge in a pear tree frooze to death cause I'm here in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG you're so funny! And I hear ya...I hate cleaning that mess up too, but I know I will definitely do it again (guess I'm a glutton for punishment!). Thank you!

      Delete
  11. I love your vest, Myra! I would say that all the "fur flying" was worth it, too! Thanks for getting all dolled up for us, your hair looks great. I plan on wearing mine natural again come summertime. Anyhow, I am glad your sewing mojo is alive and well. It's a good way to start the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vanessa! I love being natural and wish I had done it years ago! It's such a joy to wear your hair just as it grows from your scalp! (not to mention, it's a hell of a lot cheaper too!)

      Delete
  12. Awesome Myra. I love this. I am in the Orlando area (Apopka) and we've had degrees as low as 29, this would be perfect for my wardrobe. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! It is a great wardrobe addition!

      Delete
  13. The look is warm, stylin’, and on trend. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email