Saturday, January 25, 2014

Basic Sewing In My Challenge


I was reading a few of my favorite blogs this morning over a "cup of Joe" when inspiration struck once again! The first inspiration is a challenging one, wherein I joined Victoria's " 2014 Fearless February" Challenge! I participated last year and since I'm sewing all my clothing this year, (in the RTW Fast Challenge) I felt I needed to incorporate all aspects of sewing. So challenging myself to be "Fearless" is definitely a winner in my book!

The second inspiration came via Carolyn from Diary of a Sewing Fanatic...she found as she retired basic clothing pieces from her closet, they were not immediately replaced. So over time, of course there was a shortage of basics! How many of you have found yourself in this situation? I know I have and there lies the second inspiration...I also need to replace some of those missing basics! That lead me to this very next post; a basic black button up shirt!

I had one I loved many years ago and after I just couldn't mend it any longer...it finally went to the fashion district in heaven! To replace it, I selected a pattern I've had in my stash for quite a while. It's Jalie 3130...


I pulled fabric from my stash and it's a Black 100% Rayon Challis. This fabric has a very soft touch and is also very drapey. I believe I purchased this one from Michael Levine's. This is becoming my favorite online fabric store because I love their selection of fabrics, their website is so easy to navigate and their fast shipping and follow up tracking cannot be beat! Heck, I even know when my fabric arrives at my door when I'm at work!

The pattern was very easy to create and the instructions were easy enough to follow as well. However this is not a "quick" sew! There is a lot of top stitching and details which give beautiful results, but it took me a couple of days to complete this top. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining because I love the way it came out, it's just lately I've been on this "quick sew" journey. You know...the quick gratification projects! I have to say though, the couple of days work was so worth it. This is a basic black button up top spruced up by adding some shiny silver buttons for a different look..

   
 
      
   

I paired this top with my "Project Runway" slacks made last year; you can read that review again here. It turned out so pretty, I can't believe it took me so long to make another!

   
 
        
 

Oh Boy...I'm feeling a great new wardrobe in my closet this year! Thanks to all of you out there who so inspire me! Keep the blog posts coming and thanks so much for stopping by and supporting me with your wonderful comments!!

HAPPY SEWING!






28 comments:

  1. Myra you look so good in your "fashion basics" as you call them. You always look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Faye! I really love the RTW fast challenge, it's going to help me re-vamp my wardrobe this year. (And it needs a lot of work!)

      Delete
  2. I love it! All of the time an details are worth it. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's what I thought too I am so happy with the results!

      Delete
  3. That is such a gorgeous outfit! You will get so much wear out of that shirt. Two days for a project would be extremely quick for me, I sew like a turtle. It usually takes me a minimum of a week, and sometimes a lot longer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! I really like this top and can't wait to make a few others. Remember slow and steady wins the race!

      Delete
  4. beautiful! this came out looking so wonderful & really wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice shirt and I didn't even know that Jalie had any patterns for wovens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth estimation point that's a really nice pattern from them. The fit was perfect!

      Delete
  6. So lovely! The blouse looks fantastic with the pants. You should make this again in a couple of colors. I like Michael Levin's too. Just have to remember to order from them more often ~ LOL! And thanks for the shout-out...I'm glad the post inspired you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much sister Caroline! You inspire a whole a lot of us and we really appreciate you thanks again!

      Delete
  7. Myra, sometimes the basics can be the things we love the most, yes? You look beautiful, my friend. I agree that you need this blouse in some more colors. You are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are! Thank you so much my friend! That really makes me happy to know that I am an inspiration to anyone

      Delete
  8. Hi Myra! You look so sharp in your new shirt paired with those cool slacks! Very nice work on the shirt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  9. Lovely save and I love the whole look and hair, fabulous Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss toy! It takes fabulous to know fabulous! :)

      Delete
  10. Such a classy blouse! I need to make a button up black one myself and now I'm putting that Jalie pattern on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie, you'll be happy if you do!

      Delete
  11. My gosh, Myra. Even your fashion basics are chic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the whole outfit---and you made it!! : ) I hope to do the same thing one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I'm positive you will too!

      Delete
  13. What a classy look! Now there's another pattern I want! Great job on both garments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You'll really like this pattern too!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email