Saturday, May 31, 2014

Vogue 1329 "Take Two"!

       VOGUE 1329 
There have been a lot of reviews on this particular pattern and many different versions. The first time I followed the pattern to a T and didn't do any type of alterations, just a couple of design changes. The first change was not to include a zipper. Because I was making this dress in a knit, I didn't think I needed it. I also chose not to line the dress. My fabric selection was a black Ponte and a Rayon knit in an animal print. The black Ponte was purchased from Hancock fabrics and the animal print was purchased from Michael Levine's. They both were great selections to create this dress! The first time I made it I chose to put the animal print both in the front and the back of the dress. This turned out to be a mistake on my part! I really didn't like the look on me, not that it was wrong or a bad choice, I just did not like the look for myself. I really didn't think this one through based on my style. Don't get me wrong I love the style of the dress, I just didn't like the way I put it together for me.
 
 
      
Also, I made this dress size 10-12 which is my usual in a knit...however this dress pattern runs a little short, (actually a lot short!) I would've preferred it to be a little bit longer and should have checked the ending length before cutting the fabric! So I set out to remake this dress immediately with a couple of changes. The first change was to make the back of the dress all black. The second change was to make the dress longer. I'm not sure these changes actually made me feel any better!
 

      

I guess this dress just wasn't meant to work out for me and now I have two of them! YIKES! I'll give myself some time and decide if I'll keep either of them...I'll just put them in the closet for now and revisit them again sometime in the future. But I have to ask...which one do you all think is a better look on me??
Before 

      
After


 

      


Please excuse the "headless horseman" photos! I wanted to get some posts up quickly and didn't have time to fix up for my photos! Anxious to hear your thoughts!

By the way, I did get to go to Pennie Textiles (Fabrics) in Sarasota last Sunday and boy, oh boy did I really want to spend my life savings on fabric! I really and literally did not know what to choose! It was like being at a Mood Fabric store physically! I got to meet with the owner Nasir Mahmud...what a very nice man! He does have a nice place, small, but very nice! They're moving mid July of this year to a bigger place (still in Sarasota) so it will still be in our area. There new address will be 8864 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL. Here's shots of a few of my purchases...
 

      

Three of them are fabrics for the fall I just couldn't resist for fear if I waited, I would never see them again. On the right, the bottom (shiny) fabric is a stretch knit if you can believe that! It shocked me as well. I see many options for that one this winter! On top of that which looks like leather is actually faux fur! Isn't that crazy! I thought it was leather too until I touched it! Had to have that one!

I can't wait to go back, first I have to start getting some of the fabric I already have sewn up!  

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on my dresses above, until next time...

HAPPY SEWING!

27 comments:

  1. Sizzle! This is gorgeous! And so glad you got to go to the store, too bad it cost you so much :-) but what fun!! I'll get there eventually, I'm in Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Pete every couple years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Coco! Oh they're pricing was bad for such designer fabrics! I really didn't spend that much, I just wanted too! I hope you do get to visit them! Hopefully, they will add shipping some day!

      Delete
  2. Sorry this didn't work out for you but I really like the short version!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them, but I will have to do something!

      Delete
  3. I like the second one better, as it hits your legs in a place that makes them look very long and slim, and it also looks more like a ladylike day look in that length. A black jacket, heels and pearls and its a smart office look. The first version is more suited to a night on the town imho.
    When I have had dresses which came out too short, I have fairly successfully made them into tops instead, so you may want to do that with the first version and wear it with a plain balck skirt or black pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthie, thanks so much for offering your option, I never thought of that one and it's a good one that I just might try.

      Delete
  4. With any animal print less is always more - so the second version is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I do agree! Especially now that I've experienced this!

      Delete
  5. Why don't you like them?!?! They both look fabulous!!! But I like the second one more. I think you should give them a test run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know Nakisha! I will give the a test run before I decide to give away or trash all together. I just feel like the animal print makes me look matronly!

      Delete
  6. I like both versions and like Nakisha, I think you should give them both a test run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the second one better - the longer length with the print is more sophisticated to my mind.

    Maybe turn the first one into a top to wear with a plain black skirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and that's what I thought too. That's a good option too and I will consider that as well.

      Delete
  8. Both are really nice, but I actually like the one with the solid back better. Just my preference though. I also tend to like that one because of the longer length. Don't ask me why because I usually prefer a shorter length for myself. Nice dresses, nice fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! I am with you on the preferences scale! I really like shorter length dresses but with this one the longer length just look so much more sophisticated and I much preferred the black back as well. I may try putting a black border around the bottom of it to make it longer and add another level of color blocking. We'll see what happens. Thanks again!

      Delete
  9. Both dresses are beautiful but I like the second one more. I think is more flattering and as SewRuthie said, it gives you a longer sleeker look. Very feminine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! That's the way I feel about the second one too!

      Delete
  10. very nice, and I do like the 2nd one. I have this pattern and hadn't seen anyone make it so glad to see it. very sharp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! Yeah there are quite a few reviews out there on it. Many different versions, colors and patterns, not sure if I make this one again though!

      Delete
  11. I love the second one more, but they both look very lovely. This is such a nice pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was very, very easy to make using a knit and eliminating the zipper!

      Delete
  12. I think both of the dresses look great but if I had to pick, it would be number 2 with the solid back, I collect info on fabric stores in different locations, cause I just never know when I might be in that area, so thanks for info on Pennie textiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey! i think it was almost unanamous on the second dress. It appears that the majority preferred the longer, all black back version. You're very welcome about the fabric store. I like visiting fabric stores too when I am traveling.

      Delete
  13. I agree with the second version too! I love the fabric combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I think it's going to be unanimous on the second version.

      Delete
  14. Uhm...this is interesting. How fabulous that you had enough fabric to make two dresses! I like them both. I REALLY like the length of the first version, you are rockin' that length even though it's "short" AND I like the solid black back of the second version...I know...not much help but you got yourself two really cute dresses! You've made me want to try this pattern.

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email