Saturday, June 14, 2014

Iconic Sami Cami Times Five

Since I started making the Iconic Sami Cami, I just fell in love with it and I probably will not buy another Cami in the stores! I will however, teach myself how to make one with a shelf bra in the near future. Hopefully one that has some type of structure to it. There are several tutorials out there on how to this, so I'm going to try one very soon.

In the meantime I'm very satisfied with making my little Cami's and they work so well for me under garments both wearing to work and just casual. Also, as my friend Andrea (of Satinbird Designs) told me, they make great sleeping garments too!

With the addition of these five Cami's, that gives me a total of nine I've already made this year! I am absolutely 100% positive there will be more! You ask why am I so sure...I'm sure because there is absolutely no way I have one in every color yet!

Here are four:

 
  
Each of these tops were made with different types of high-performance spandex fabrics. Some of them are actually what they call "wicking", and for those of you who are like me and didn't understand what that word "wicking" meant, it actually means that it helps absorb the moisture from your body and also helps to keep your body cool. The reason I made each of them from different types of fabrics, is because I'm trying a new fabric store I found online. This fabric store sells these high-performance spandex fabrics and I wasn't sure which one would work best for me, so I bought 1 yard of four different types to see which one I would favor. Here's another reason the Iconic Sami Cami is great...it actually takes less than a yard to make it! If you're interested the fabric store, the name is Spandex By The Yard.

All of the fabrics are Nylon/Spandex and honestly, you really couldn't go wrong with any of them, especially with so many colors to choose from in all. However, my favorites were, the Navy and Brown...they were a lighter weight, very cool to wear and they also were a little easier to sew.
   
      FR 30 Navy     F 56 Brown
My last Cami is this yellow one underneath the top I made using McCalls pattern 6752, one of my favorites! Both fabrics were purchased from JoAnn Fabrics sale table, not sure of either content. However, the yellow Cami has some stretch and great recovery and appears to be a rayon jersey. The overtop is a very sheer knit and has a nice stretch and slight recovery. These two together made a great casual top to wear over jeans, shorts, even at skirt or pants at work.
 

 

I love all my new Cami's! and I'm so happy that I'm finding time to do my favorite thing...SEW! I hope you all are too! Thanks so much for stopping by and spending a little time with me!

HAPPY SEWING!

32 comments:

  1. I am a Cami woman too!! Your Cami's look so wonderful, and you have made so many pretty colors! I have never heard of this pattern before, and will have to keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi down there in cami land! Such nice additions, I need to get cracking with this pattern again. And yes they are nice to sleep in. Thanks for sharing the fabric source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms. Faye and thank you! I wanted to make sure I had enough for the summer! I bet you'll have a few more soon too!

      Delete
  3. You have made yourself some very nice camis. I really ought to try that pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you definitely should!

      Delete
  4. I love your camies. I did see a tutorial that included the bra and thought it was a great idea. I may jump on the wagon and make a few myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to look for those tutorials and get started on another soon!

      Delete
  5. What pattern is this?! I must have been sleep! Please share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! That is the name of the pattern...Iconic Sami Cami.

      Delete
  6. Oh I need to make myself some Sami Camis! You know what? I am sitting in bed reading blogs, wearing....a cami to bed! The built in shelf bra is nice for a little support, and the cami is nice and cool, especially for those particularly hot flashing kind of nights. The wicking fabric would be nice for that too. I made a shelf bra in a cami a couple years ago. It wasn't difficult at all, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps. I may come over and raid your closet. I really like the brown and navy also!

      Delete
    2. I know you can get them pretty cheap in some stores now, but there's something about making your own! Plus I'm on hiatus from clothing shopping! You should try a few!

      Delete
    3. ... And my closet is always open!

      Delete
  7. Lovely collection of camis. I could use a few more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, I'm trying to catch up with you for the summer!

      Delete
  8. Very smart sewing Myra! I should learn from you. Love your new tops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri! Being on this RTW fast is forcing to think differently in how and what I sew now!

      Delete
  9. Your camis look awesome! I went to the Iconic Pattern site, downloaded the instructions and pattern (so I thought) but when I open it it's only one page and if I print it it's a small piece of one part of the pattern. I'm obviously clueless! Could you offer any help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will see if I can send you the pdf file I have.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. You're welcome but you'll need to email me your email address. (onesimpleinspiration@yahoo.com)

      Delete
    2. Ybennett@centurytel.net thank you so much!

      Delete
    3. You're very welcome and should be all set now. Good luck!

      Delete
    4. I am! Now to have the world leave me be and let me sew! I can't thank you enough for taking you time to help me. Bless you!

      Delete
    5. Another tip, for the straps, I use matching Fold Over elastic whenever possible!

      Delete
  11. I want some Sami Cami's too. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! If you haven't tried it yet, you should, you might like it!

      Delete
  12. Love love love!!! what a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love it too it is definitely become my TNT for Cami's!

      Delete
  13. Wow. These are brilliant. You've picked the right fabrics. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This is definitely a TNT!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email