Saturday, August 30, 2014

Fabric Mistake Or Not?

Do fabric manufacturers ever make mistakes? Of course they do! They are human just like the rest of us! I truly found that out recently when I purchased this piece of fabric...


This is a red and white knit purchased from Joann Fabrics. For those of you knitters out there, you will know what I mean when I talk about the "purl" side, which basically means the wrong side of a knit Fabric. Well this fabric actually has the sequins sewn on the wrong side of this knit fabric. The sequins are actually sewn on the purl side!


Can anyone find a reason why this may have been done? I didn't and because I liked it, decided to use the fabric anyway to make this cute little top! I used a self drafted pattern I have for a cowl neck tank top. This one I can wear under jackets or just about with anything else. (It would have been perfect for 4th of July with a pair of Navy & White shorts, LOL!)  
 

      
     
     
I wonder if Joann Fabric realized this was a mistake? Did any of you purchase this fabric and notice that? Or have you seen any other obvious mistakes from fabric companies?
 

      
I have been sewing quite a bit, just not much time for posting, but I'll try harder to be better at it because I miss you all so much! Your comments are great medicine for what ails me...work stress! Thanks for stopping by and I'll have another post up shortly!

HAPPY SEWING!

22 comments:

  1. Mistake or not, this is really cute. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute top and you look so patriotically chic... shoeless and all. I like to think that is the right side of the fabric and not an error. I also like to think knit stitches are reversible, in that both sides of the fabric are pretty enough to be used on the right side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, LOL! Actually someone on the RTW Fast Facebook page, told me that this is a common practice with some fabric vendors for knits.

      Delete
  3. Fabric mistake or not, you've made a great top from it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know. Sometimes knit garments are designed to have the purl side show, so maybe that was the intent. Who knows. Your top is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! As it turns out, you are correct, this was definitely intentional.

      Delete
  5. I have a RTW sweater that was designed to have the purl side showing (It actually looks better that way) and have seen several hand knitting patterns that are also designed that way. Still, it very well could be a manufacturing error. Hard to say. Cute top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure whether it is a mistake, it SEEMS like it. But...you turned this fabric into such a cute top!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know about the fabric, Myra, but that's a great top and outfit. You look so good in that red!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny, but what a cool fabric and love your top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and this truly is a fun too too!

      Delete
  9. Great top in spite of fabric company mistake! I have not seen this at my local JoAnn's. Some JoAnn's are more craft store than apparel fabric, that is the case in my area. Next time I am in there I would look for this fabric to see if same is true here. Most likely they will not have stripe knit fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Based on some of the comments that I've received on Pattern review and Facebook it appears that this was done intentionally by the vendor as a design element. So I'm good with it, and I love this top.

      Delete
  10. I find this interesting because I once purchased a cropped knit cardigan where it was put together with the purl side as the right side and the knit side as the inside. I didn't notice it until after I had purchased it. Maybe it is becoming a trend thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mistake or not, great look for you and on you!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....