Saturday, August 2, 2014

More Fabric and Another RTW Remake

It's been a busy few weeks and I just drove back from a work conference in Naples Florida. Of course I had to stop by my favorite fabric store on the way home, Pennie Fabrics. They've now moved into their new facility and while they still have a lot of organization to do, you can easily see it's going to be a great place for them very soon. Sorry I didn't get any pictures I was in & out rather quickly. A group of us Sewing bloggers/comrades are going to be headed down there again in a couple weeks and will get pictures then. However, I was in there just long enough to get a few pieces of great fabric...


Photos left to right are, black & white striped-a Rayon Knit Jersey, the black coral & white-a Chiffon, the green & gold-both Rayon Ponte knits and the coral with white polka dots-a very nice stretch cotton. I can't wait to dive into some of these fabrics!

Now for my review ..I had this beautiful top I bought from Cache (A Women's Boutique) about five years ago. I loved the look on me and unfortunately I grew out of it (literally!) I hung onto it because I liked it so much and thought one day I would actually attempt to remake it...well that day came! I decided to remake it, same style, only this one would fit me and I would have a pattern to make others whenever I wanted.

Here's a photo of my original top. Unfortunately the nice Dark Brown wood beads have faded from years of cleaning...
 

      

Here's a photo of the top before the beads had faded and I, of course was a lot smaller!

...this picture was taken in South Beach five years ago

I took the old top apart and traced the pieces making each piece a size or two larger. Using some fabric I had leftover from a dress I made previously (here), I cut out the new pattern pieces. All of the beading was done using Beads I purchased from Joann Fabric just for this top. It turned out better than I thought it would!
 

      

Sorry about the cell phone photos!

I am so looking forward to making other tops from this pattern and I think it will make a great summer dress as well!

Are any of you out there remaking some of your favorite RTW tops? Thanks for stopping by and sharing some of your day with me!

HAPPY SEWING!

30 comments:

  1. I have not tried to remake any of my RTW tops yet, but boy did you do a super job!! I like your newest top even better than the old one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I like it too! If you don't mind taking something apart, it's really easy!

      Delete
  2. That's a gorgeous top, Myra! I love it! Nice fabric haul, can't wait to see that place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! I can't wait to get back there again! He has a lot more fabric too!

      Delete
  3. such a great idea and love the new version

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty top! I wish I had done this with clothing items I had to give away or trash because of the size or damage. Oh well, now I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Levone! Especially if it was something you really liked!

      Delete
  5. Pretty fabric and that top is so pretty. I took apart an old rtw wrap dress and have made several dresses from it. I have a faded suit that I want to deconstruct, just need to take the time out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! Yes, it does require time and patience! Good luck on your suit!

      Delete
  6. This is such a great top! I love how you used new beads to get the look of the older top!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carolyn! I'd love to include more detailing like this in my creations...it's just time consuming!

      Delete
  7. Love the remake. thank you also for mentioning Pennie Fabrics. I live in the Tampa Bay area and have not found any Independent fabric stores. I can't wait to go to Sarasota. Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! Maybe you can join our group when we go in a couple weeks. Let me know if you're interested.

      Delete
  8. I love the remake too, especially the beads. Quite unique. I'm glad to hear that Pennie Fabrics is now in the new location and getting settled, I'm really looking forward to checking it out myself. Anne Szabo, I'm in Pinellas county, there are a good half dozen or so of us. Would you like to join? Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would like to join. I know only quilters. Nobody that I know does garment sewing. My contact anneszabo@yahoo.com.

      Delete
  9. That top is definitely worth copying and updating. I am sure the current version looks as good as the old one does. Great to learn about a new (to me) fabric store in FLA, in case I am down that way soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Audrey and you're very welcome!

      Delete
  10. Really great re-creation. I love the beadwork. Is the back one piece or is there a waist seam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy! No the back is one piece. No seam at the waist.

      Delete
  11. I love this top, great work as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice top. I love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you were smaller?! How much smaller!! =) This top is great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So gorgeous, Myra! I think I prefer the new one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny!! I really like the new one better too and I've already made a second one I've not posted yet

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email