Monday, September 1, 2014

New Look or "No Luck" Pattern 6303

There were multiple versions of this top from different pattern companies out there, I selected the less expensive New Look pattern. I'm not sure of the price of the pattern had anything to do with the results are received. Although this was my muslin of the top, I was kind of hoping that it won't work out because I love the color of the muslin fabric I used. It was a pretty shade of turquoise rayon fabric that was in my stash from a while back.

I selected view D (the pink one with the print and made size 12, which is what I normally do in woven fabrics. The pattern went together fairly quickly, there were only three pieces!

It look good when I put it on Miss Thing (my dress form), so I had high hopes for this top! Unfortunately the measurements for Miss Thing and I aren't quite exactly the same! (she's not one of those expensive types you know, LOL! Not yet anyway!)
 

      

     
 
The problem areas are, first the gaping back of the neck. I typically have a problem with this with some patterns, I guess because I have a narrow back. However, it varies from pattern to pattern so I guess I'll have to start measuring my patterns from shoulder to shoulder. I am also not a fan of the open pleat in the back.

The second area or were "The Girls", affectionately known by men as the Boobies! There just wasn't enough room to keep them from gaping the front open. And due to the weird design of the pattern piece, it's hard to adjust for them without making the bottom of the top balloon out more than necessary.


I would like to try this one again just to see if I can do it (No I have to try it again...I can't let a pattern beat me!). Unfortunately, this one is definitely a wadder! Has anyone else tried this or another version of this pattern with any success?


14 comments:

  1. I haven't tried it, but it looks like it would be so pretty on you. I hope you work out the issues if you try it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I am trying it again right away. If it doesn't work out the second time, I may try a different pattern this style.

      Delete
  2. wow, thanks for testing out the pattern Myra. I think you should try again, it has so much potential, its a beautiful design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toy! I am trying it again! Can't wait to see how your pattern works out. I may be switching patterns!

      Delete
  3. I tried the simplicity version.

    Didn't work cause; boobs. It doesn't sit flat and making it stay closed makes it strain. But going up a size means tons if excess fabric at the bottom. :/

    Really love that color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those are the same issues that I'm facing with this one. I hope the second works out. If it does not, oh well!

      Delete
  4. Ah, wadders happen...I've had a string of them in August, I blame it on the weather :-) The gaping back - Sometimes the angle on the shoulder seam is too high or low, either one can mess with the back neckline and also change the way the front upper bodice lays down.. And if it is just too much fabric back there, try just placing the back pattern off the fold at the top, curing down. I will say this, although I've read and seen sloper comparisons of the Big 4, Simplicity is the one that causes me the most fit issues, it's just not consistent from pattern to pattern. I work any pattern a lot before I draft my tissue, but Simplicity can give me fits (pun, yes?). so - hope the next project is a winner! and that you'll find more of that pretty fabric, the color is perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco for the inspiration! I do love this color and will try it again but not sure if the fabric might have been the issue. Even though fabric suggestion on the pattern says Rayon Challis, and my fabric is a Rayon Challis. Still, because of the double layers in front I just feel it may have been a little too heavy. You know what they say, try and try again!

      Delete
  5. I know you say this a wadder, but it is still a beautiful top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candice! If I can make it work a second time, I will re-purchase this beautiful turquoise fabric!

      Delete
  6. Oh no! Too bad it was fabric you liked. Can't wait to see the next try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I'm going to cut another one out tonight. Hope I get good results too.

      Delete
  7. I hope the second one turns out well. I love the fabric you used for this one. You should definitely buy it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm finishing up the second one today. We'll see.

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....