Sunday, November 2, 2014

Pennie Fabric Sewing

Ok, I couldn't wait to start sewing up some of my purchases from our Pennie Fabric tour and shopping a few weeks ago.  The first piece I cut was the light turquoise stretch wool.  I decided on this piece because I needed a skirt to go with a pair of sandals I'd purchased during an "End of Summer" sale.  Of course I wanted tp get at least one wear out of them before I put them away for next summer!  What can I say, I'm definitely a girly, girl!  I love shoes and clothes!

This skirt was self drafted an inspired by Vogue pattern 1247...

I like the pocket styling of the skirt, but did not want to work with the pattern because I wanted to knit skirt with no zipper.  So I used one of my pencil skirt patterns and cut the front piece in half. The top half I measured down from my waist to the point where I wanted the packets to start.  Then I sewed the upper and lower portions together, leaving spaces open for the pockets.  Then I created the pocket bags and stitch them to the packet openings.  After that it was pretty easy, just stitched the rest of the skirt together, put the elastic in and it added some light weight knit lining and it was done. Easy Peasy!  


I love this skirt! It's very comfortable easy to wear and not to mention gorgeous color!  Now the problem was finding a matching top! Luckily for me I have some fabric in my stash I have purchased from Hancock Fabrics earlier this summer.  It has a white background with patchwork colors that look like they were painted. The colors are a light turquoise, tangerine and fuchsia.  A perfect compliment to the turquoise skirt I just made.  I also had a design in mind, but hadn't seen a pattern that look like the thought I had in my head. I wanted a front button peplum blouse with a collar and short sleeves.  So I combined a couple of patterns to create the look...I use Vogue 8815 and McCall's 6035.  I'm sure you've seen both of these patterns very many times before, just not together.  It was pretty easy combining them too.

   

I use the body of Vogue 8815 (View B) for the base of the top and I only used the collar and collar band from McCall's 6035.  Combining these two patterns proved to be easier than I thought and it worked out very well. Now I have a gorgeous blouse to match my new skirt and my new shoes!  

  

I've been sick with a cold for a few days and this was the best thing to make me feel better… Getting behind my sewing machine and coming up with a great outfit!

  

Did anyone ever hear me say before...I love that I can SEW!  My guess is, I bet you all are too!  I bet you all have some great stories of clothing ideas you created in your head and now are wearing proudly too.

Thanks for stopping by everyone, but I have to get back to the old sewing machine, I'm REALLY behind!

HAPPY SEWING!


19 comments:

  1. super cute and what great pattern modifications - I may have to copy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I would consider it an honor if you copied it and make sure we get to see it too!

      Delete
  2. Love your outfit. Your pattern modifications are brilliant. Since our trip, I did sew a wrap dress with the sew along. First thing I have sewn in a couple of years. Can't wait for the group to get together again. (I'm now driving)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anne! I'd love to see a wrap dress, is it posted somewhere in the web? Also, it's really good to hear from you again too! I'm so glad that you're driving again! I bet it feels like a new found freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great frakenpattering Myra! Love the colors! Can I move to Florida with you???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye, I love when combining patterns works out like that, don't you? It doesn't always! I would love it if you lived here in Florida!!!! If fact the next time I'm in Georgia, I'll let you know so we can meet up!

      Delete
  5. Very colorful. What a great way to frankenpattern the Vogue and McCall's tops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and it was so much fun too!

      Delete
  6. I love the way this turned out Myra!! All your adjustments made for a beautiful ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa and I really enjoyed sewing this one too!

      Delete
  7. I love how you combined the patterns, I really gotta get outta the box when it comes to sewing lol! I have the Mc calls & love the princess seams but those puffy sleeves not so much, love your blouse!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes being able to combine patterns makes you very creative with your sewing an gives you limit less options! Give it a try sometime, make sure you make a muslin first! Good luck!

      Delete
  8. Great outfit. I love how you used the different patterns to achieve what you wanted. You did a beautiful job. I love that we can sew and get what we want. By the way, great shoes.

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....