Sunday, January 18, 2015

First WADDER of 2015!

I cannot believe I did this!! I had this beautiful purple Ponte fabric in my stash for a while and when I finally decide to use it, I freak'n don't like the outcome! I used a Burda Style downloadable pattern called the "122 Dress". When I first saw the photo of this dress on "Cozy Cotton", I knew I wanted to use my purple Ponte fabric for it.  

BurdaStyle Magazine: 09-2014-122 by CozyCotton  

...and because this pattern has such nice curved seaming, I thought the use of color block would be a great idea. So I used a scrap of contrasting Ponte in light tan color and picked the smallest curve to accommodate the amount of scrap fabric I had. I also, shortened the hem of the back so it wouldn't hang lower than the front. I do like the color scheme a lot and I love the way the dress

looks on Ms. Thing (my dressform). However, I HATE the way the dress looks on me!! Here is a photo of the dress on Ms. Thing...
 

 


I had HIGH hopes when I put it on Ms. Thing! Her body closely resembles mine perfectly except for the "middle aged" abdomen I'm currently working to remove on me!!! The dress is not complete...the sleeves and bottom need to be hemmed, it really, really looks good on her! Then the dreaded moment happend when I tried on the dress and Wha La, instant matronly style! Say it ain't so! I could not have ruined my fabric this horribly!!!! Here are the things I don't like about it:

1.  The front neckline is much, much too low! Why don't the pattern companies get this! We've spoken about it on a cazillion times!

2.  The back neckline is too big and I have "gaposis"! I should have know this because I always, always have to alter this with my knit patterns! That's what I get for not doing a muslin first!! I guess you can consider this a muslin!

3.  The Ponte fabric I used for the contrast is different from the purple Ponte. It has much more stretch and I believe it is a rayon Ponte (which I like more) and the purple is more of a cotton/polyester combination with a minimal stretch.

Sadly, here is the dress on me....
 

 

Please, please disregard the "no make up face"! I had to tear my hubby away from the TV and the Seahawks / Packers game to take my photo, so I had to move quickly!!!

Since I have an absolute dislike for alterations, I decided to scrap the dress and salvage some of the fabric by keeping the bottom and creating a skirt! I only make alterations after a garment is completed if I ABSOLUTELY have to and I just don't feel that with this dress. However, I still really like the pattern, it's a great style and will make the necessary changes on the pattern pieces and try again later in the year. (after a little more exercise to get rid if that "middle age pouch" too!!) You'll probably see this dress again and I pray with better results!

On to the next project and there are a few for this long holiday weekend!
Thanks so much for stopping by and as always,

HAPPY SEWING!

29 comments:

  1. Hey I understand letting it go. Hopefully the next one will turn out much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I have to keep it moving forward!

      Delete
  2. I was going to suggest replacing the tan ponte with the purple, but you have already decided to make a skirt. I always call these type of garments a LESSON. Glad you didn't have to waste all the pretty purple.
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Joyree! I did learn a valuable lesson, don't use your good fabric on the first try of a pattern!

      Delete
  3. Don't fret Myra, your success rate is still super high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! I sure hope you're right and this isn't the beginning of my year of sewing!

      Delete
  4. We all have that experience from time to time. Even though the fit isn't what you expected, I can tell you did a wonderful job. No doubt, this is only a small setback. I know you'll be producing some beautiful things in 2015... starting with that skirt! Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms Vernelle! I sure pray you're right!

      Delete
  5. Ah dang it. That flounce is hot though! I'm sure the next project will be a winner as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha! The flounce is actually what drew me to this dress I love a good flounce on a skirt or a dress!

      Delete
  6. Sometimes when I have these experiences, I put it away for a while and then come back to it and it doesn't seem so bad. I don't have the patience to redeem anything at the time it happens because I'm too disappointed! I actually like it. But if it's not what you expected, then I understand. I also wish I looked that good without makeup! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! There's actually no going back to this one it's already been cut up! Also, thanks for the kind words on my no make up face, LOL!

      Delete
  7. I'm laughing...only one wadder so far? I've managed three already! It is a cute pattern for you, looking forward to your next version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Coco! That lets me know I'm in good company!

      Delete
  8. that pattern intrigued me as well and I really wanted to make it but it does look tricky. the color is great and I hope you are able to make a version that you like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! It's a really cute design though. I hope then next try works out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its a shame it doesn't turn out as expected. I made a disappointing first version too but learn to make some adjustments. From memory the pattern is in "tall" size so I shortened the hem and at the waistline by 1 or 2". I love the purple colour. Hope you succeed next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! I appreciate your kinds words and thanks for letting me know about your mishap too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colors and design are lovely. But I feel you, when you put it on and it doesn't do anything for you in your eyes, it got to go! Glad you were able to salvage some of it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie! Yep, unfortunately, "it's got to go"!

      Delete
  13. Myra!! Coming to tell you you WON!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Myra, So sorry to hear about your experience with this dress. I love the purple, when I saw it I immediately thought about that new trend of using a lighter topstitching thread to show up the colorblock sections instead of a contrasting color fabric, which would have been great seeing that the purple fabric is so gorgeous! I hope you make it again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toy! That would've been a great idea and the skirt didn't work out either!

      Delete
  15. The pattern is gorgeous--how sad that the dress didn't end up working for you! (I actually think it looks pretty good on you...but you have to feel good in it!) I like the idea of using topstitching to highlight the different panels--I think the tan stripe distracts from the elegance of the dress. I'd love to see you make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pattern is gorgeous--how sad that the dress didn't end up working for you! (I actually think it looks pretty good on you...but you have to feel good in it!) I like the idea of using topstitching to highlight the different panels--I think the tan stripe distracts from the elegance of the dress. I'd love to see you make it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Who knows I may just try and give it one more go. I don't like being defeated by a pattern!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email