Thursday, April 23, 2015

A Wadder Doesn't Stop The Show! (UPDATE)....

Sometimes you just never learn your lesson… I joined Patternreview.com so that I can read reviews before making a project.  However, did I do that with McCall's 7127...absolutely not and that turned out to be a HUGE mistake!   UPDATE-I FIXED IT, YEAH!!!  SEE PHOTOS BELOW...

  

This pattern goes together very quickly, and the instructions are very easy to understand.  However, it doesn't turn out with the best fit.   I made this one my normal size 10 for knits and after a few hours I had the top completed.  I used a blue cotton knit fabric from my stash.   Thank goodness the fabric wasn't something that I cherished, because this project ended up a huge wadder!  The front hemline was a little too "A-lined" for my taste in a tee shirt and there was a LOT of gaping in the back...

  

Could I possibly correct these issues...yes, but I seriously don't want to!!!!  The bad part about this wadder is it could have been prevented had I just read the 2 (and only 2) other reviews about this pattern on Patternreview.com!!!  Neither of those reviewers would recommend the pattern either!  Lesson learned...read reviews of the pattern first!  Then if you want to try it anyway...make a muslin!

Oh well...my next few projects turned out well enough to keep me sewing! (and I really needed to keep my sewing mojo dancing around in my head!)  While I may fix the issue with this top (I don't want to, but it's still on the table) just so I don't waste fabric...The pattern did sew up very quickly, so I will only recommend if you truly like the style and are prepared to make adjustments.  

UPDATE:  I really liked the back detail in this top so much, I decided to fix.  I opened the side seams and extended the back sides out about 1-1/2" each side past the normal seamline.  That worked perfectly in removing the "gaping" back!  I also removed about a 1" pie slice from the underarm to the shoulders to correct the "drooping" shoulders (I could have removed about an 1" more, they still droop a little).  All in all, I was able to fix it and now have a great tee with interesting back details.  I may make another!!

  

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my posts...I have a few more to share soon...

HAPPY SEWING!

22 comments:

  1. I too purchased this pattern because it is a cute design (surplice in the back). I already know I have issues with surplice front tops and bodices but purchased anyway with reservation. I will heed your advice. I also forget to use Pattern Review and just dive in head first with my sometimes over zealous self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just hate when we do that Faye?!!! I hope you have better luck than I did the first time!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh noo. The color is so pretty. I also purchased that pattern. I will try and see if I can make it work... wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you Sheila! I did to think it was very attractive Tanner, who knows I might try to save it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, great post Myra, I can relate for sure

    ReplyDelete
  5. So little to love about a wadder! I think you were ambitious (brave) to give it a go. That's a difficult back. Into the bin and on to something more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't feel bad, it has happen to me also, we do learn from are mistakes, I really like the soft blue color, and the pattern is beautiful. I am happy I read your blog before I purchase it. I now know what to expect, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Etta! I really like the blue color too and am trying to fix it.

      Delete
  7. Your finished product looks great. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the corrections. It is always great to fix a 'wadder', if possible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the spirit, Myra! I am so glad you fixed this top. It looks so good on you. I especially like the back with your hair in an 'updo' like you are wearing it in the picture. Cute shorts, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Andrea! I really like this T and am so glad I took the time to fix it! As for as the hair… Thanks and appreciate the sweet comment! It's my "don't want to fix my hair" style I've been rock'n lately!

      Delete
  10. Such a fun and stylish top, Myra! I like the results!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your save of this top. I took a pass on buying it because I was afraid it would be a wadder for me. Thank you for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you just re-cut a brand new top???, adding 1 1/2" to the side seams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Ms. Faye, I took it apart and removed some of the fabric from the sides. I then correct the pattern so the next time I make it I won't have to worry about it.

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email