Saturday, May 23, 2015

Fabric Haul and Silk Print Dress

I got an opportunity last weekend to go to one of my favorite fabric places… Pennie Fabrics!!  My husband and I took a leisurely drive into Sarasota and the hubby decided to take me on a little fabric shopping spree.... YAY Me!

There were only a couple of ladies in the store when we first arrived, and they left shortly after, so my husband and I had the entire store and Nasir's lovely wife to ourselves!!!  What a treat!!!  There's so much in the store and I know it's cliché, but I truly felt like a kid in a candy shop... I didn't know what I wanted, LOL!!

So I started grabbing things that I knew I needed or couldn't live without. I figured that was the best route to take at this point.  Below are the lucky pieces that came home with me that day...

Describing the fabrics from left to right:

1.  Green-Cotton stretch twill

2.  Green and white striped-seersucker

3.  Baby blue-stretch wool (lightweight)

3.  Coral-stretch lace

4.  Peach-cotton spandex

5.  Charcoal & Navy-tie-dyed cotton

6.  Coral-Silk chiffon

7.  Coral-rayon Lycra

9.  White-texturized stretch knit

I can't wait to dive into these pieces...I already have plans for each and everyone of them!

I still have a few pieces that I purchased from Pennie fabrics on other occasions that I've not worked on yet.  I thought this would be a good time to use one of my previously purchased Pennie Fabrics.

Below is a photo of it in the fabric store when I was just about ready to purchase this beautiful brown silk with a orange and cream print flower on it...

  

It was so gorgeous just looking at it and the feel was amazing!  Very drapey and flowy!  However, I don't know if you noticed or not but each panel was printed with a little over half of a flower!!!   I have no idea why the designer would have done this and if anyone of you out there knows the reason, can you put please let me know?  I can tell you though, it created a very good challenge for me!  How the heck am I going to create something with that??!!

I laid the fabric out on my cutting table and stared at it for approximately 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do… When it came to me!  I wanted a dress with a full flower in the front and back, but how in the world was I going to achieve that? 

So I started by folding the fabric over itself to create a full flower.  Then I pinned and permanently created the seam.  Wa La, a full flower was formed!  (Sorry no photos… I was so busy trying to create, I forgot!). I'm sure it's not what the designers had in mind, but it works for me!

Then I used my favorite self-drafted Cowl neck top pattern (only two pattern pieces) and laid it on the fabric.  While cutting out the pattern on the fabric, I just extended it long enough for a dress.  

Using French seams, I sewed the dress up and within two hours I had this beautiful, simple, summer dress out of a gorgeous silk print!

  

I love this little simple dress and can't wait to wear it!...And wouldn't you know it, as soon as I finished the dress I thought of another application for this beautiful fabric using that half flower!  Oh well, maybe next time!

Thanks for stopping by and sharing some of your time with me!

30 comments:

  1. It's an absolutely gorgeous dress! You used the fabric perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carolyn! I do live this dress!

      Delete
  2. Voilà indeed. It has come out beautifully well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that is gorgeous and what creative thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! This fabric's design was truly a challenge for me...but I think I won in the end!

      Delete
    2. You definitely won! Absolutely beautiful!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the kind comments Tracey!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful dress and fabulous fabric haul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. The dress is stunning with the flower. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comments Anne!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous! I've only been to Pennie's once (so far) but what a treasure trove. I love how you figured this out!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I love Pennie Fabrics too!!!

      Delete
  8. Fabulous dress! The print placement is gorgeous. Pennie Fabrics - Oh, gosh, I need to come to Sarasota! Only a 3.5 hour drive :-) but closer if I'm in Ft. Myers with Ashley and Darrin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely treat yourself and make the trip, it's well worth it!!

      Delete
  9. Wow!!!! It's spectacular! I love that print. So vibrant. You'll enjoy wearing that one for sure.

    Really like your picks for fabric too. Coral fabric made its way into my stash recently too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha! Coral is a favorite for my complexion.

      Delete
  10. Perfect use of that fabric. I love that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Myra, let's not talk about fabric stashes. My, my, my fabric seems to be growing out of the walls at my place. I can't sew fast enough to keep up with the amount of fabric to keeps appearing in my place. BTW- love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cennetta! I still can't believe I actually have a fabric stash!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful dress and design. The was a good save. I can't see why a designer would have print like that. The only thing I could imagine, is that it may have been a misprint. I love a good fabric challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great haul! I like how you laid the fabric to get what you wanted! Simple, yet elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning dress, Myra, can't wait to see it on you! I'm in agreement with Cenetta. No discussing fabric stashes, please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! My stash is starting to get out of hand and I never thought I would EVER say that, LOL!

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous dress! Your process sounds so much like mine. I spend so much time thinking on fabric to come up with just the right thing! Have fun putting your new pieces together too.

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email