Sunday, August 2, 2015

Butterick 6097, A Navy Top

I apologize to all by subbies and readers for the very long hiatus! As they say, "I'm back in the saddle" again!
This is a pattern I've had in my stash for a while and who knows why I've not made it before! It's a lovely pattern and goes together very well! I needed a top to go with the self drafted pencil shirt (below) I made from some great Neoprene fabric I recently purchased from Mood. How many of you have been creating using this very different fabric? I learned a very valuable lesson I'd like to share with you all on Neoprene...do your research, there are different types and thicknesses of this fabric! After seeing a beautiful dress made from Neoprene, I jumped the gun and purchased a Neoprene fabric from Mood thinking they were all the same...NO THEY ARE NOT! I received this SUPER thick and stiff fabric (that was sandwiching rubber!). So thick, you could barely fold it! I have absolutely no idea what I would ever make from this fabric but will keep it in my stash just in case one of those miraculous thoughts comes to my now "empty" brain! I know there have been some beautiful dresses made from this very thick fabric gracing the runways...I guess it's just not my thing at the moment, LOL!! Anyway, here's an "iphone" photo of the fabric I just spoke of on the left. On the right is a second Neoprene fabric (blue print), I also purchased from Mood that is much softer, yet a sturdy knit with not a lot of drape. Sews and wears BEAUTIFULLY!...
I decided to purchase the blue print Neoprene fabric after seeing it made into a lovely dress by Sarah of "Goodbye Valentino" you can see here. I loved her dress and the fabric so much I purchased it right after reading her review because I didn't want to take the chance they would run out! I agree with Sarah, this fabric was definitely a dream to work with too! There's different print of this same fabric I just have to go back and purchase soon for some "crazy" cool leggings!

Now back to the top...I got distracted for a minute there talking fabric, LOL! Looking through my stash for fabric to match this skirt, I found this Navy woven fabric (unidentified content) that was gifted to me a few years ago. It feels like shirting fabric, but I want to say it has a little Wool in the content. I'll have to wash a swatch to test before laundering this top because it really turned out nice and I don't want it to shrink!...

I made this top a size 12 (I wear a size 8-10 in RTW), who knows why the sizes are so off with patterns. The only alteration I made was on a hunch while cutting out the pattern...I decided to give "the girls" a little more room since this was a woven fabric. I extended the princess seam approximately 1/2" on both sides. Glad I did because it just fit me perfectly! Everything else remained as instructed by the pattern. I love the way they used purchased bias binding as facing to finish the armhole!

I have two more items completed that I'd like to share with you all very soon...I just have to get the reviews written up!

Thanks again for stopping by and sharing a little of your time with me, it's truly appreciated!

Happy Sewing!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

26 comments:

  1. That's a really lovely shirt with the pleated peplum. About your fabrics - neoprene is actually the fabric for scuba diving suits so that's why it is so thick and the rubber in the middle. I think it is confusing if you are wanting scuba knit... which I have gathered is what they call the stuff for sewing dresses etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes that's what makes it so confusing, they do call it scuba net for dressmaking fabrics. However they also call it neoprene depending on where you purchase it from.

      Delete
  2. You did an awesome job on that top. The detail is lovely on this top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful! Those pleats are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That top is very pretty, I especially like the bottom. But that neoprene fabric made me laugh that fabric is ridiculous. Give it to goodwill, because its not even worth storing! I scuba dive and that fabric still looks too thick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion! I just may do that!

      Delete
  5. The top looks great! That's a nice pattern (one I haven't noticed before).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise! It really is a great pattern and I'm sure I'm going to make another time from this pattern. I'll have to take a snapshot of me in it and reposted so everyone can see the fit.

      Delete
  6. Welcome back! Your navy top is gorgeous! I bet it is a very pretty style when you have it on. I have heard Neoprene is great for leggings. I am glad you mentioned that not all Neoprene is the same. I would have made that same mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa! I will try to snap a photo of me wearing this top on my next post. I did purchase some more neoprene in made leggings out of it that turned out great! I'll post so soon as well.

      Delete
  7. Pretty top and love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nightmares are all I see when ordering fabric through the mail. Now you have given me more reason to be Leary. I guess you will need to make a runway piece with that neoprene.

    The top is terrific...one that's on my table, and again I just needed a visual to see its beauty. Thanks for the FBA tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the fit of this top so much, I've worn it multiple times and really need to make another before wearing this one out!

      Seriously though, I love purchasing fabric online and have really not had many issues like the one I had with the neoprene. I believe you can find a great variety of quality fabrics for a lot less money online. I think you should continue to give it a try!

      Delete
  9. Hi,
    Why don't you make a bag out of the neoprene. It would be able to keep a nice shape. Abbey sews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's actually a very good idea and one that I may just consider!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful blouse! I remember that printed neoprene dress. Beautiful print. Can't wait to see what else you have coming up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! It's been so very stressful at work, I can't wait to have a moment to sew again!

      Delete
  11. Sharp blouse, Myra! The skirt & blouse will make a great outfit. The neoprene - you could make a whole bunch of water bottle cozies? Or an iPad case? ;) Sometimes the fabric is not as expected. The color is beautiful, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! Great ideas too! They'll make great gifts!

      Delete
  12. Where are you and what are you doing??? Yes, I am all up in your business! Just missing seeing you for real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reaching out, Faye! You can be "all up in my business" anytime! I just went through some life changes and will be announcing soon on my next post. I'm doing very well and will have lots of sewing to share with everyone shortly! Thanks again for reaching out and showing you care!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....