Thursday, October 29, 2015

Coral is just my color… Butterick 5313

I'm finally getting caught up on my blogging! (It's about time, LOL!). This was a dress I'd made for work a while back. Unlike most of my projects, this dress started with the selection of the fabric. The fabric had been in my stash for a while but until recently, I truly didn't know what to do with it. It's an ITY knit with a print that has the look of denim. Very soft with lots of stretch!
Finally one day it came to me, (I have absolutely no clue why...my mind seems to do mysterious things sometimes!) I could make a specific dress! I searched through my pattern stash looking for the pattern I knew I had (I have to get these patterns organized one day very soon!). Butterick 5313 turned out to be a great decision for this luscious fabric!

The pattern has great instructions and it's very quick to create. (made in one day) I made my usual size 10 for knits. The only issue I had was installing the neck band. I had a little gaping across the upper back which caused the neckband to bow out in the back. In order to correct this, I had to make a small wedge from the top of the back neck to the mid upper back of the dress. Not the perfect way to fix this, but it was much easier than trying to take the neckband off the dress…knits are not the best to take apart using a seam ripper! (you'd be better off pulling your hairs out of your head one at a time!) I made a small back adjustment on the back pattern piece and shortened the neckband pattern piece to correct this for future versions!

Overall, I really love this dress! It's a very cute style that can dressed up or worn very casual. It's also very comfortable to wear!

In this photo, I wore it to work paired with a black RTW (Ann Taylor) jacket.
Because this fabric is a "performance fabric", it travels very well with no wrinkling! Now those of you who know me, know that I am normally not a dress person (I perfer two piece dresses). However, I plan to make a couple other casual versions of this dress to take along with me on vacation! If you're looking for a quick dress to make, casual and/or professional…give this pattern a try!

Again, thanks so much for stopping by and sharing a little of your day with me!

LET'S GO SEW!!

 

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks so good on you and very fun to wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nakisha! I really don't care for dresses on me but this one is so much fun it's changed my mind on dresses!

      Delete
  2. Cute dress and agree its an easy sew. I made it in 2009, of course after several years, it was refashioned to a top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! Yep this is an old pattern but a goodie! I think I'll go search your blog to see the one you made in 2009!

      Delete
  3. This looks great! I love it with the jacket but its nice and casual without, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really pretty on you and I love how you have styled it.

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....