Tuesday, October 6, 2015

LWD (The Little White Dress)

Hello everyone, in my last post I mentioned I was working on a dress for the Janet Jackson concert and how it just did not work out. However, I only realized it after I tried it on. The problem wasn't the fit of the dress, it was more that I felt it was not the correct option for the occasion. Since I was attending the concert with the hubby and he was wearing jeans and a nice sweater, I just didn't think this dress would work. However, thank goodness for me, it's still a nice dress for another occasion! The hubby and I are going on another cruise vacation very soon, and I feel this dress will work perfectly for a dinner during that vacation.

Now back to the review…I purchased the fabric from Pennie Fabrics some time ago. It's an off white medium weight, four-way stretch knit with textured waves going through the fabric (not sure of the fabric content...I have to get better at getting this info!).

Since the fabric has a lot of character itself, I decided to use a simple tank pattern to make this dress. An old pattern from my stash, Kwik Sew 2517, seem to fit the bill perfectly!

Also, I wanted there to be a sheer panel somewhere in this dress, so I purchased some sheer off white stretch nylon netting from Spandex House (online). If you've not purchased from them before, you should really take a look! They have great selections, the prices are good and fast shipping too!

I sewed the top half of the dress, the sheer panel and the bottom half of the dress separately and then sewed them together as one. I did this because I wanted to make French Seams in the sheer panel. However, silly me, in my excitement of making the dress, neglected to try on each piece separately for fit first!!! You guessed it…the dress was too big and I needed to take it in!!! (give me a moment please...boo hoo!!) So, no french seams on my sheer panel now! I ended up serging the seams and I'm going to leave it that way because the dress is just for me. Had it been for a client, I would take it apart even if it meant purchasing more fabric just to make the French seams...after fitting first of course!

I had to add a center back seam for fitting purposes and unfortunately did not pay attention to the pattern design in the fabric, but it came out close enough for me. As you see here, we long-time sewers have our issues too, LOL!! Also, I have to say this fabric was a challenge sewing! I've never had a problem with very stretchy knits before...but this one really "kicked my you know what"!!! The fabric wanted to stretch out on me while sewing on the serger and my sewing machine. I had to be very creative with my serger and machine settings while handling the fabric so I wouldn't end up with wavy seams on my dress!

I really like the look of this very simple dress and will probably make it again just for the experience of doing it CORRECTLY! Maybe in black for that LBD I don't have!! Whenever I wear this dress, I plan on pairing it with a bold color since the dress is off-white…I can think of many options too! Below is one of my thoughts...royal blue mules (sandals) and a silver necklace with royal blue accents...

All in all, the dress turned out nice so I won't complain because this could have ended up a total wadder! (and Myra crying all over her sewing machines!) Have any of you experienced knits stretching out on you while sewing and if so, how did you handle? I'd love to hear any good tips and suggestions! Thanks again for stopping by!

Let's Go Sew!

 

9 comments:

  1. Myra, you look fantastic in this dress! Wish I had seen this fabric at Pennie's :-) When I'm having trouble with stretching seams, I break out my walking foot. I don't use it all the time, but I do use it fairly often, with both wovens and knits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I don't believe I have a walking foot but will definitely check into it now that you've mentioned it! Maybe pennies will still have the fabric when we head over there in a couple of days!

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah Myra...I did a tutorial on the Bernina blog "WeAllSew" about walking feet and knits. You should check it out. Here's the link: http://bit.ly/1N0AAu0

      Delete
  2. Myra, I know us "long-time sewers" tend to focus on the imperfections we find in our sewn garments, but I find that no one else EVER sees them. And, let's not even mention RTW garments - it's like manufacturers have absolutely no concept of pattern matching. Your dress looks great from all angles, and you look beautiful wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aisha! Most definitely! I didn't stop to think of it in that like that and it's nice to know that another great sewer thinks it is not that bad! Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. Wowzas...this is really pretty. Def could have worn to the concert. But we gals gotta "almost" look like we are with those guys we have tagging along.

    That bit about the "long-time" sewers. I hear you, we are human too. And all the newness in the world makes us scratch our heads regularly. My goodness I get comments all the time...like I can't make mistakes because I teach. Should I know everything?

    Your dress is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea and LOL! Thank you for the link to your article about the walking foot! I am definitely going to check my accessories to see if I have one and if not purchased one!

      Delete
  4. Cute Dress!!!!!! What I do to stop the stretching on the serger and it also produces even seams is press some wiggin on the seam allowances then before serging stitch a few stitches on the start of the seam being fed. Works like a charm, no stretching and wavy seams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! I may try to use Wigan the next time I have that issue. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email