Monday, January 18, 2016

Formal Dress for Cruise

Hello everyone, I know it's been a busy time with lots of different projects started for the new year! Some of you in the Sewing community have a great start to your 2016 sewing goals! It's really exciting to see all the different projects, contest and challenges already starting! Good luck to you all...I'll be checking in and hopefully joining some too!

On my sewing front, I self drafted a beautiful two-piece dress. It was intended for formal night on my cruise. Luckily I finished it in time, but unfortunately, did not have time to post before I went on vacation, so sorry! I just returned from vacation and want to share it with you all now.

The fabric is a red and black animal print stretch woven. The red has a very high sheen that almost mimics satin. I purchased this fabric at my favorite local fabric store, Pennie Fabrics (in Sarasota, FL).

The bodice portion of the top was easy to draft using Miss Thing (my dress form). I love the "cut in" style of the sleeve openings and have several other tops made in this manner. The peplum was made by draping the fabric around Miss Thing, pinning and cutting the fabric on the angle I wanted.

Since the top is so fitted, I decided to have an exposed separating zipper in the back. This worked out beautifully.

I made a simple pencil skirt to complete the look...

I really love how it turned out and unfortunately, because we were having so much fun, I don't have many photos of me wearing it on the cruise (oh by the way, we went to Jamaica and Haiti)...

LOL, my friend and I did not coordinate colors!

We had a blast and I am so looking forward to my very next vacation already!!!

Thanks for stopping by and sharing a little of your time with me! Now I have to go finish reading some of your blog posts and get ready for my next project!

Let's Go Sew!

 

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful. You did a great job on the drafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anne! Can't wait for our next meetup!

      Delete
  2. I love the top and skirt. You look beautiful in both, and like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your hubby are looking sharp, lady! I know you had to be the best dressed couple on the cruise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Andrea! Surprisingly, there were a lot of casually dressed folks for formal night...I guess "formal" has a different meaning these days!

      Delete
    2. I think you're right about that, Myra. It seems that people just don't dress up like they used to, do they? Did you watch the weather on the news? As cold as it is tonight, it's going to be colder tomorrow night... Bundle up!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I love how it all came together--the gorgeous red print looks stunning on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa, thank you so much! It really was easy to put together and very comfortable to wear too!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous and both of yoy look Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very pretty! Love the pics! Sorry I couldn't go but it looks like hubby had a great time with my ticket so it's all good!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! DH appreciates you letting him go too!! :)

      Delete
  7. You. Look. Amazing. I love everything about the ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tasha!! I hope I'll have another chance to wear it somewhere!

      Delete
  8. You look rather glamorous Myra in your design Myra. You need to make a pattern for it so I could have it in my stash!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Faye! You know when you want it, I will definitely create the pattern and send it to you, like pronto!!

      Delete
  9. You are so beautiful Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwe, that's so very sweet! Thank you!!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....