Monday, February 1, 2016

My First Moto Jacket

Hello everyone and happy February 1! Can you believe one month of the new year has already gone by? Where has that time gone!

Before I went on vacation couple of weeks ago, I had started a project that I never completed. It was a Moto jacket using the Butterick pattern, Lisette B6169.


The Moto jacket has been on trend for sometime now. Actually, I like the style very much and decided to try my luck and make my own instead of purchasing one. There are so many different types of styles in Moto jackets that it would be so easy to find one you absolutely love!

Fabric on top

I used two different fabrics to create this jacket. The contrast front fabric was purchased from Pennie fabrics in 2014. It looks like an alligator style leather but is actually a black faux fur with a flat nap. It's truly a unique fabric (and one of the reasons why I absolutely love Pennie fabrics!).

The remainder of the jacket (back and sleeves), is a black faux suede and was purchased at Hancock Fabrics a couple of months ago. The lining was also purchased at Hancock Fabrics and is a bright red nylon/polyester (lining color at the suggestion of my husband!) for a pop of color!

The Lisette pattern was very easy to sew, very well illustrated and the instructions were good.

However, I did notice a slight mishap on page 2, step 5 of the instructions. It instructs you to place the separated zipper "Face down" on the left front. If you do this, the zipper will be facing in the wrong direction. I didn't see any of the other pattern reviewers mention this and I believe it's because experienced sewers really do their own thing and a lot of times don't follow the instructions. But for all those beginners who are following the instructions word by word, I felt this would be important for you to know.

Also, the pattern does run a slight bit large. I realized that after doing a pattern tissue fitting and good I did! I also did my own thing when it came to the jacket details...first by changing the pattern slightly and adding zippered pockets rather than the included welt pockets. I also included zippers on the back of the sleeves as well as decorative snaps on the lapels.

I really love this jacket and my only issues while creating it were...1. Trying to figure out how to install the zippered pockets. I wanted to make sure these were actually working pockets! And 2. The pattern calls for 1/4" shoulder pads, but all I had on hand were 1/2" at the time. I really didn't think it would make that much of a difference to me...however, yes it did! (Just a comfort issue, you don't really notice it). Next time I will add the 1/4" shoulder pads for sure! And there will definitely be a next time for this lovely jacket!

Hanging out with the hubby!

I would HIGHLY recommend this pattern if you like the style! It's been reviewed favorably many times on Patternreview.com! For a lined jacket, it didn't take very long to make and is so stylish in my opinion.

How about you...do you like the Moto jacket style? Do you own one? If so, did you create it yourself?

Thanks again for stopping by and spending a little of your day with me! It's truly appreciated more than you'll ever know! Now...

LET'S GO SEW!

 

34 comments:

  1. Wowser - that is one tough jacket!! love your fabric choices and design additions. It looks fantastic on you - nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really like the way it turned out too!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I absolutely LOVE your moto jacket! Super cool and looks so good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been seeing Moto jackets too, and want one!!!! The one you made is fabulous, and fits you perfectly! Oh, and yes, it is February ALREADY, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Vanessa! You should make one for yourself, you'll love it too!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic job on the jacket,looks awesome.I have had the pattern for a while but after seeing yours I have moved it to the top of the pile.One thing,I didn't see a finished bust measurement on the tissue but could be me not looking properly !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, you should make it… The bust measurements are on page 1 at the guide sheet.

      Delete
  5. Love your version of this great jacket pattern. I may have to use your idea of zippers in the sleeves-great design detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sure! It was very easy to do!

      Delete
  6. Your jacket looks great on you! Great fabric choices and fit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slay Myra! And thank you for the correction on the instructions. I will keep that in mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tasha! You're an inspiration too!…up next is a copy of that beautiful sweater you made! I really loved your version and want too!

      Delete
  8. I loooooooove it!!! I have a moto jacket pattern (Burda) but I'm not ready yet! I guess I can move it up on the list! I gotta stop reading blogs - I can't keep focused! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Carol! LMBO!!! These folks are sewing like there's no tomorrow! I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like that!! Can't wait to see your version of the Moto jacket too!

      Delete
  9. This jacket is some kinda fabulous! I love it and you look marvelous wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Erica! You're a huge inspiration to me too!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful Jacket and you definitely have that Rocker Diva Chic look going on... Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Sheila! This is the first jacket I've made since my faux leather one I created a while back, so I was overdue! The great thing about this jacket is, I can actually make it dressy Chic too!

      Delete
  11. This is really awesome Mira, those zippers really make a big difference in how the jacket comes out. It's not a Moto jacket unless you have zippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Andrea! I agree with you hundred percent… Zippers definitely make the jacket "Moto"!! I'm still inspired by and love your turquoise leather zippered jacket too!!

      Delete
  12. What a fabulous jacket! Beautiful!! I saw that pattern and am tempted but soooooo do not need another jacket in this climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! You do have a lot of nice jackets! Unfortunately, I've been neglecting myself in this category!

      Delete
  13. Simply put, your jacket is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing your tips on making the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And you're very welcome!

      Delete
  14. Oh so fabulous Myra Love it to pieces! You need to scope this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Faye!! I'll try to tomorrow.

      Delete
  15. Absolutely stunning..Thanks for the great tips as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you're very welcome!

      Delete
  16. Wow! Great job! I keep looking at this pattern. you might have convinced me to give it a try:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You should give it a try, it's a very easy pattern and one that you can morph into anything you like!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email