Friday, February 12, 2016

Winter Sweaters for Florida

Lately we've been plagued with experiencing colder temperatures in Florida. (Can you tell I am not a fan of the cold??!!). Either way, I need to add longer sleeved sweaters and tops to my wardrobe.

For those of you who follow me on Periscope (it's quickly becoming a new love for me!), I recently scoped from JoAnn Fabrics while purchasing McCalls pattern 7194. I used the McCalls pattern and a pattern from my stash, the Style Arc Ann T-Top to create the following two sweaters.

Style Arc Ann T-Top...this is a simple tee shirt pattern. I selected this because it's really a basic tee shirt pattern (it just has gathers at waist in the front for shaping). I wanted to make a simple sweater with a "hi/lo" hem and felt this pattern would suffice. Needless to say there were a few changes I needed to make.

The neckline...I wanted more of a "crew neckline" and this one is a little lower and wider than I wanted for this sweater. I raised the neckline approximately 2" and decreased the width of the neckline by 1" (I also decreased the back neckline by 1" as well to ensure the shoulder seams would match.

I learned these techniques and more, from watching Mrs. Andrea Davis of "Sewtofit" on YouTube. She recently posted a segment on necklines you can view here. As an enthusiastic, exceptional resource, Andrea is a true "Pillar" in our sewing community. Please subscribe to her YouTube channel for this and so many more fitting lessons...you truly won't be disappointed. You also won't believe...these valuable lessons are FREE!

Continuing with my review, I did not gather the side seams in the front as instructed by the guide sheet and I extended the back hem by 4" to get the "hi/lo" effect I wanted. These were the only changes I made to the pattern and they were both very simple. The fabric for this sweater was purchased at Hancock fabrics and is a dark violet/burgundy'ish color (LOL, I think I just made up a new color!). It is also a high pile acrylic sweater knit. I really love this fabric and the color!

I did wear this sweater already but unfortunately, did not get any photos of me in it yet. It was so comfy and warm!! Let's just say there will be others made from this new altered pattern...love it! I know there's probably patterns out there already in this style (I might even have some in my stash!) but there's something so rewarding about creating it yourself using new techniques you've learned! (Thank you Ms. Andrea!)

Now on to McCalls 7194...View C is the version I selected. (version with contrast hemline). I mentioned during a recent Periscope, that I'd first seen this pattern created by the lovely Tasha of the TheTellTaleTasha blog. Her version was a huge inspiration for me and can be seen here.

The pattern was very easy and quick to sew, I made it in a couple of hours! The fabric for this top was purchased from Hancock fabric and is a high pile acrylic knit in gold, white and black. For the contrast hem, I decided to use fabric from my stash I purchased from Pennie fabrics a while back. It's an extremely soft faux leather, lightweight with a soft hand and slight stretch. The faux leather also has a faint print. Perfect match for this sweater....

I've not worn this sweater yet, so I don't have photos of me in it, but the fit is great! However, because of it's distinctive design, I probably won't be making another.

I have so much more I'm working on and really want to share with you! Thanks again for stopping by! Now...

LET'S GO SEW!

 

20 comments:

  1. I love, love, love the colour and the style of this sweater! It looks so comfy too! Thanks for the great blog post.
    I am on my way now to subscribe to Andrea's Youtube channel.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn! And you're very welcome too!

      Delete
  2. I think both sweaters look great! I really LOVE the color of the purple burgundy-ish one, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa! Glad you like my made up color too!

      Delete
  3. These are both so fun! I haven't been to a Hancocks in a long time. I think the closest one is way downtown in Tampa. You're making me want to go check them out again, though. I just went to JoAnns today and picked up a couple new patterns. I thought I would get more, but I kept thinking "I have one close to this - no need to buy a whole new pattern" so yeah I agree it's fun to work with what you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I heard that Hancock Fabrics on South Dale Mabry will be closing. That's the one I go to as well. I don't know when, but I am sure they will have massive sales when they do start closing! I will let you know if I find out anything.

      Delete
  4. YES! That sweater knit is so unique! I love it.
    I'm also a big fan of hi-low hems and will probably be making a few this year.
    Great job. Can't wait to see you in them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Tasha! I really appreciated it and I'll update the post with photos of me in them when I get a chance.

      Delete
  5. I love both of your new tops! Your "Tasha Inspired" sweater is awesome too, cause you know I'm a gal who loves faux leather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! When I did a search of this pattern I noticed I missed your blog post where you made one! OMG, yours is lovely too!!

      Delete
  6. Both tops are gorgeous Myra. Can't wait to get my hands on some faux leather to try that pattern style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Faye! The next time you're in Florida, you can hang out with me and I'll take you to Pennie Fabrics where they have a nice selection of faux leather!

      Delete
  7. Hey Myra,
    Did you get my message saying you were the winner of the give-a-way? Congrats! If you'll send your address by FB message or email me at fayedoll(a)cox(dot)net I'll get the book in the mail to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Ms. Faye! Thank you!!!! No I didn't..I've been out of pocket for a while! I will head over to you blog shortly! Thanks again!!!

      Delete
  8. Lovely sweaters and love the leather detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! Now it's starting to warm up again here in Florida and I probably won't need them until next year!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful sweaters, Myra. I love the contrast with the leather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are lovely sweaters..., I love the leather detail

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email