Thursday, April 21, 2016

Knowledge is Power...

Hello everyone! I know I've been "MIA"... But I have been working my little fingers off!

I am currently enrolled in a few Sewing related courses to improve my craft. Remember the saying "knowledge is power", well I'm trying to get as much knowledge as I can!

I am taking three Craftsy classes, one of them along with friend, Andrea of Satinbird Designs. The course is called "Patternmaking & Design: The Pants Sloper". The class is wonderful (and very detailed) I am learning so much and will end up with a great flitting sloper to create pants from! We spent a few days participating in the course and working on our slopers...

Long day...No head shots!

It was absolutely wonderful being able to work alongside someone with these self-paced courses, bounce ideas and get help from each other...thanks for joining me Ms. Andrea!

I'm also enrolled in a 15 week "Fashion Illustration" course with a Parson's school instructor! This is really exciting (especially because I can't draw a stick figure, LOL!). It's really been exciting and I can't wait to get further along!...

It's alright to laugh, I did!


On the Sewing front...

I'm enrolled in the "T-shirt Sew-A-long" with the Pericrafters Facebook Group for the month of April. So far I've only created one, a basic white Tee which I'll show you below. I was using Mimi G's Simplicity pattern 1167. I had a few issues with my muslin because I think the pattern runs small...at least for me it does! The muslin was not only to snug, it was too short and the fabric I used was a very stretchy polyester and just didn't handle well at all! I had this fabric in my stash for a while. I am so very happy it wasn't something I was really in love with! I wanted the Tee to fit me just as it does Mimi on the envelope photo. However, the first one was no where near hers...mine looked like I was wearing my little granddaughter's T-Shirt!

This fabric was awful...twisted everywhere!

I remade the Tee in a white Rayon Lycra knit with the following changes:

  • Added an inch to each side seam
  • Lengthened the top by 3 inches
  • To correct back neck gaping, I added a seam in the back and black piping detail to make the seam look intentional

I like the way it turned out and was thinking about cutting a front seam and adding piping to the front as well…What do you all think, should I add Black piping the front too?

Please excuse the wrinkles, needs pressing!

That's it for now! I have a couple of more T-shirts I want to get done before the end of April (when the challenge ends). I hope you all enjoyed this post and thank you so much for stopping by!

Time To Sew!!!

 

18 comments:

  1. This explains why we haven't heard from you. It is fun learning with others, especially in a "self-paced" environment. I am in that art class with you, and I really like the instructor as well. She is such a wonderful vibrant person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Laura is really great isn't she! Lots of fun and very helpful!

      Delete
  2. BTW, the t-shirt looks nice. I will be providing the custom pattern to the winner. So get cracking. (lol.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Andrea!!! It would be awesome if I could win it!!! Thank you for sponsoring!!

      Delete
  3. That is really great - I'd love to take classes too. I still haven't made pants for myself so I think I'd benefit a lot from a class like that. Your t-shirt looks great - the changes you made really worked well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! You should just go for it with some inexpensive fabric, you may surprise yourself!

      Delete
  4. Great Tee and love the modification in the back. If you put a center seam and add the piping will you be losing some of the width.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! No, I added an inch to each side seam and I only used a 1/4" seam allowance in the back, so I'm good.

      Delete
  5. The t-shirt is cute! I love a plain-looking shirt with surprise details on the back! I don't think I'd add piping down the front, but maybe next time you could make a one (in other colors) with piping down the sides!

    I love that you're able to take a class with a friend. I haven't taken any on-line classes, but if I had a sewing friend close by who would take a class with me, I'd be more inclined to try one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! It is really nice to have someone who shares my craft live close enough where we can work together!

      Delete
  6. Whew, Myra, we were working hard that day! I'm so glad we are doing this class together, because it's really kept me motivated and made it more fun.
    What did you decide on the tee? Front piping or not? It really is so cute as is. If you're undecided, try pinning on the piping to the front and see what you think, take a couple of pictures.
    You'll be surprised with the progress you make in the illustration class. In no time, you will be drawing beautiful illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Andrea!!

      I decided to keep the Tee as is and make another with piping in front and in back.

      I am totally loving the illustration class too and pray I get better!!

      Delete
  7. Sew interesting Myra and sounds like fun! Love what you did with that T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The art class looks really interesting. And the T-shirt is really cute! I think Mimi G likes her clothes really fitted, so her patterns are that way (you might try sizing up one or two sizes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes, that exactly what I will do. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. You have certainly been making some productive use of your time - that's great! I like the T the way it is but pin some piping onto it and see how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It has been very busy for me but all is good!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....