Tuesday, September 20, 2016

A visit with Norma Kamali

Hello everyone, this is going to be a short post about my visit to the Norma Kamali exhibit at the Tampa Museum of Art. Recently a friend of mine, Andrea (Satinbird Designs) and I decided to see the exhibit before it leaves September 25. When we first walked into the exhibit, Andrea and I were both giddy with excitement from all the beautiful garments Norma had designed...right there for our eager little eyes to examine! What a treat for sewing bloggers!! (Down side...of course we were not allowed to touch anything, LOL!)

It was a small exhibit, but here are a few photos...

I FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS VEST!!
The "All in One" dress (they are the same)
The "Sleeping Bag" coat/jacket
Close up of feathers
Having fun!!

It was truly a fun afternoon looking at what a professional designer created and would have only been better if we could have touched some of the clothing! (Although I totally understand why we could not!).

I will leave you with a photo of me by another piece of beautiful artwork we saw at the museum...this piece scared me it was so large, I thought it might come to life and grab me!! LOL!!

I hope you enjoyed the photos...please share with me the last time you visited a designer's exhibit or fashion show. I love hearing about everything fashion!! Thanks for stopping by, and

Happy Sewing!

 

14 comments:

  1. Lovely pics and you standing next to that huge sculpture looks intimidating. The last exhibit I saw was Through the Looking Glass at the MET.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Sheila! Nice you were able to see the exhibit too!! Did you enjoy it?

      Delete
  2. Myra, this was a great exhibit. I also was able to catch your live scope when your showed all the wonderful designs. I especially enjoyed the black fused utility jacket. I went to Nanette Lepore's workroom and design showroom in NYC last year. That was an awesome experience for sure. It's a wonder I love her work, as they say here design esthetic is "gypsy inspired". That is so me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! Wow, that sounds like an awesome exhibit too! And in New York, what's not to love! Thanks so much for sharing I'll have to look up Nanette Lepore!

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard any about Norma Kamali in years. Her fashions = breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! Before this exhibit, I had not heard about her in quite a while too! Glad I didn't miss it and could share it with you all too!

      Delete
  4. Newat! I didn't know this was here. I need to pay more attention to the art museum. :-) I especially like that studded one-piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Jenny! I should have sent out a message to the Bay Area Sewists too see if anyone else wanted to join us! Never assume anything, right?!! Believe me, I won't forget it again!!!

      Delete
  5. Glad you had such a fun time at this exhibit. The last exhibit I saw was "Uniformity" at the Museum of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tomasa! I'll have to look up the Uniformity exhibit...anything in New York sounds nice!!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing! She has some really beautiful designs. I'm yet to attend an exhibit (sob, sob)...it looks so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Myra, what a fun outing that was! So glad that we finally got to see the exhibit together, and am really pleased that the Tampa Museum of Art is doing these types of exhibits. Although it was a small exhibit, I would say it was packed with inspiration, wouldn't you? My favorites were the vest and jacket made in the bonded fabric, the versatile 'all in one' dress, the long sleeve & hip hugger combo bathing suit, and finally, the monochromatic, sleek looking outfits near the back wall (although not florida friendly, that could be made so.) What I loved about all of her pieces in general, is that everything appeared to be comfortable to wear. I'm all about comfort these days - it will just hang in the closet if it's not comfortable! Some of those studded pieces may not be practical, but overall, everything else looked very wearable. Thanks for a fun afternoon, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was totally fun!! I can't wait for our next outing! (Whatever and whenever that will be, LOL!! Long time between events, but always fun!!)

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email