Sunday, October 2, 2016

September Denim Challenge

Hello everyone! How was your September? It was a very fast paced and eventful month for me. A lot went gone on, we traveled to Las Vegas, attended a beautiful wedding (I picked up a virus on the flight home and spent two days in bed sick!) Now I am wrapping up the month with a denim challenge I wanted to participate in for September.

I don't know about you all, but I start these challenges off with high hopes and lots of project goals. Unfortunately, reality sets in and I end up way below my initial plans! That's definitely what happened to me with this denim challenge. I had plans for two pair of new jeans, at least one or two denim dresses and a special denim project. By now, you've probably guessed...none or most of it did not happen and you would be absolutely correct! LOL!

I did manage to crank out one special project. I called this a special project because of the fabric. I've had this piece of fabric in my stash for years, I can't say when I got it and I don't even remember where I purchased it! Shame on me because it is beautiful! It's a "beige colored sueded stretch denim"...

My first thought was that this fabric was "reversible" but upon inspecting it closely, I realize that the blue is actually the inside (Wrong side) of the denim. This piece of fabric has been in my stash for so long because I could never figure out what to do with it. Then one day while showing the fabric during a periscope for the denim challenge, an idea came to me...I could make this a bomber jacket! I have a pattern for a bomber jacket, but it just wasn't working for me and the majority of ones that I found online, didn't have the exact look I was going for either. Of course I had to have what was in my brain, so I self drafted a pattern using a fleece jacket from my closet (RTW) as a template.

Plaid fabric was muslin
After cutting out the pattern pieces I need it, I thought I had better be smart and make a muslin. As it turns out, that was a great decision, LOL! I didn't have to put together the entire muslin, because one side was enough to tell me what I needed to do to make this jacket come together and fit. Because of the weight of the denim, I decided to use a "heavy weight rayon ponte" knit for the collar, lower and sleeve bands. I was correct on this thought too because it worked liked a dream
 

I decided not to line the jacket because I like the denim look on the underside. I guess I underestimated working with the weight of this fabric… It's pretty heavy weight and using a size 18 needle in my sewing machine help tremendously! This jacket challenged my thinking process, especially when it came to all of the zipper details. I wanted each of the zippers to be active working pockets and they are. Each sleeve zippered pocket can hold a large Smart phone (I don't have the largest but trust me it will fit!)...

I love the way this project turned out and it made me feel so much better about not completing everything I wanted to for this denim challenge! This one piece made up for everything! (And just in time for the fall season!)

So, tell me what have you challenged yourself with lately?

Thanks so much for stopping by and reading my blog post!

Happy Sewing!

 

40 comments:

  1. Quality wins every time, your jacket was worth the effort. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, every challenging minute!

      Delete
  2. Myra, this jacket is awesome! I loved how you styled it also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candice! You're so sweet!

      Delete
  3. Omg I am AMAZED! I love this! It's perfection!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ms. Nakisha! I really love this jacket!

      Delete
  4. Wow this just looks so great: totally on trend and I love how you styled it. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still amazed on your moto jacket from last winter and this one is just as amazing Myra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Faye! I am so very happy my sewing mojo is staying around so I can keep creating!

      Delete
  6. Hey Myra! What a great use of fabric. I love this new bomber jacket...you look mah-vah-lous. Those zippers tho!!! Glad you bounced back from that bug too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it too, it looked good in little pictures on your phone and looks great in the big ones! Just in time for (hopefully) a little fall weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I hope we do get some fall weather soon! I had a great time Friday and it was awesome getting to know you better!

      Delete
  8. So gorgeous! Those zippers are everything on this jacket and wow! What a result from just tracing one you have. We have to have lunch when it gets cooler out so I can see it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny and Absolutely! This month is a "thrift store" challenge and it's going to be interesting since I have never been in a thrift store! I feel like I am on an episode of Project Runway? LOL!!

      Delete
  9. ahhhhhhh!!! I LOVE IT!! This is so amazing!

    Glad you're feeling better :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Tasha! These monthly challenges really push me to create!

      Delete
  10. Your bomber jacket is fabulous. It is on my list as well for the fall. Great job and fabric selection, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE that jacket! I've never done sleeve pockets so that's on the list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bomber jacket is gorgeous, and looks perfect on you!!!! Now I want one, LOL! I must say that I am like you. I am quite ambitious each month when it comes to what I'd like to sew, but usually end up doing less for lots of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa!! I am really trying to get better at carrying out projects I say I'd like to make....I really need more up to date clothes!!

      Delete
  13. Oh wow! This is one fabulous bomber jacket. The fabric was waiting to become this jacket. I LOVE IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa! I think it was too!!

      Delete
  14. Wow! Amazing! Your jacket is really stylish and gorgeous. It looks great on you. I would like to make a nice jacket as well as yours:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You can! This was really easy to do!!

      Delete
  15. Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful! I love your bomber jacket! I would like to make myself a jacket as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stephanie! You should, it's really easy!

      Delete
  16. Wow! This is absolutely gorgeous, Myra! You did justice to this fabric. It suits you so beautifully, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I really love it and can't wait for cooler temps!!

      Delete
  17. Pure fierce & fiyah.... loooove it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I take that as the highest form of complement coming from you Ms. lady!

      Delete
  18. Your bomber jacket is awesome! Myra, you make the look very chic and sophisticated. I have always wanted to make a bomber jacket and will now soon because of your presentation. I am a blog lurker, not an active blogger, maybe one day.....but I truly enjoy visiting your blog. You are an inspiration for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia! I really appreciate your kind comments! Good luck with becoming an actual blogger!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email