Monday, October 31, 2016

Thrift Store Refashioning

Hello everyone, I've been working on another challenge (I bet that doesn't surprise some of you all, LOL!). Lately I've been obsessed with them because there are monthly challenges going on this year and they've all been very interesting. This month's challenge was a "thrift store refashion". Since I had never been in a thrift store before, I thought this could be a lot of fun! I had my reservations only because I don't like doing alterations and taking apart some of the clothing to refashion them made me a little apprehensive.
But I put on my big girl undies and dove into the challenge! Boy am I glad I did!
First, here are the items I purchased at the thrift store. We had a budget of $25 and lucky me purchased five pieces (below) under budget...I only spent $18.77!!

I selected these pieces specifically for the fabric…each of them had enough fabric for me to be able to create something and I liked the "festive" look of each. Without further ado, here's what I created with my "thrift store" stash...
First up the beaded/sequined poncho refashioned to a tank:
It's party time!

Second, the purple "prom style" dress refashioned to a two-piece cocktail dress. I also used some of the black knit dress:



Lastly, is the one I posted for the challenge. We were only to submit one completed Thrift Store project. The two sweaters (silver and charcoal/silver) and the black knit dress were refashioned to a pull over cocktail dress:


I self drafted each with the exception of the purple top. I used Simplicity 9697 (the lilac colored version). I changed my mind at the last minute and decided not to make this top a turtleneck version. Instead, I opted for a bias banded neckline you see above.
My sketch & Simplicity 9697
I hope you all enjoyed reading about this challenge as much as I enjoyed creating them! Thanks again for stopping by and spending a little of your time with me, it's so much appreciated!  

What have you challenged yourself with lately?
Happy Sewing!

26 comments:

  1. I, too, have grown to enjoy refashioning thrift store finds...feels like a wo all the way around. I absolutely LOVE your refashions...great job, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aisha! I'm not sure if I will do it a lot, but I did have fun this time!

      Delete
  2. How fun! I would have never guessed in a hundred years where these pieces came from or how they started out as something totally different. Super job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laure! It was fun and a LOT of work taking everything apart!

      Delete
  3. Myra these are outstanding pieces! You really knocked it out the park!! I love them all (as usual)!!! That Simplicity pattern is a GEM! I found it in the garage when we were cleaning and fell in love all over again!!! Nice Job on the refashion challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! That pattern is a very nice one and I've had it for sometime. I keep it around because it always comes in right when I need it!

      Delete
  4. Amazing work! You created some outstanding pieces, considering what you started with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I am really pleased with these pieces too! Never thought I could get something like this from a "thrift store", LOL!

      Delete
  5. Outstanding! You really grasped the essence of October's challenge Myra. BEAUTIFUL pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Faye! This definitely was a super fun challenge!

      Delete
  6. Yep, I agree with Faye. OUTSTANDING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very CUTE! check out Coolirpa on Youtube! She has a "Thrifted Transformations" series that is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Tasha! I will definitely check her out, I love YouTube!

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous and I love the last one so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nakisha! My favorite is the tank and the silver dress is my second favorite, but I do love both!

      Delete
  9. Fabulous Garments and you did a Fantastic job on refashioning them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Sheila! You are the "Refashion Queen" though!!!

      Delete
  10. Oh wow! You certainly made some beautiful and creative refashions - fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How in all the world did I miss the purple refashion???? OMG, I am blown away! I thought the silver dress was something... this purple piece is incredible!! And, you never thrifted before?!! I must say, you are a natural! I think you have just discovered a hidden gift. Kudos to you my lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alethia, It was definitely a challenge that worked out in my favor!

      Delete
  12. Great job, Myra! Everything looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gasp! First, your thrift store has some nice stuff! Second, your refashions are very nice. I like the last one a lot because it doesn't look as if it came from two sweaters. I looove the black bands. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I really appreciate that! Almost everyone who commented had their favorite and it was nice seeing what everyone thought of each piece!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....