Saturday, November 12, 2016

Another Shirt for the Hubby

I am really loving working on shirts and tees for the hubby! (He's loving it too!).  I know it takes time away from my "selfish sewing" but it's so worth it!  Especially when I see him go into the closet and grab items I made for him first!   He has long arms and it's hard for him to find shirts that fit his arm length without being too large in the body.  Since I already have a TNT pattern for him (McCalls 6044) it makes it super easy for me to create different styles for him without him physically with me. That means "surprise" shirts can be made like the one I'm making in this post.

The design for this shirt came from my husband seeing an inspiration shirt in a mall store.  He thought it was the coolest shirt!  Now mind you, my hubby is not one for shopping for himself nor remembering titles, brands or any of the important things necessary to research and find what you need.  He also is one that needs a while to "think about" a purchase and usually misses out because it's no longer available when he finally makes a decision.  Needless to say, that's exactly what happened to him in this situation!  We had gone back to the store where he saw it and of course he could no longer find the shirt (even with the assistance of a store clerk).  Then I searched online for a faux leather black shirt like the one he'd seen with no luck at all.  There were so many out there, but none like the one he described, I felt bad for him because now he seemed to really want the shirt.  I swear the more we could not find it, the more he wanted it! (This is probably his "passive" way of trying to get me to make it, you think?).  We decided it was a loss for him and he agreed the next time he saw something he liked, he would buy it...he could always take it back if he decided he didn't want it for pete's sake!

Of course, you know I pulled out my trusty tools and went to work! (Sewing machine, serger etc., LOL!!). First, I had this beautiful fabric I had purchased from Pennie Fabrics about 2 years ago...sorry I don't remember the fabric content.  However, it feels like an extremely soft medium weight rayon with a slight stretch and beautiful drape (feels like a lightweight lambskin leather!)  This could be used as a contrast fabric because what makes it so unique is the Leather look...

The picture doesn't do it justice! 

I remembered when I first saw it in the fabric store I wanted to make a two-piece dress for myself or some cool "leather look leggings!"  So I decided to be "selfless" and use it for the hubby. (Does he know how lucky he is...YES!!).  Fabric for the remainder of the shirt is a very nice Kaufman Cambridge lawn cotton purchased from Fabric.com. 

Ok, enough of the "novel"!...I bet you want to get to the good stuff, right? LMBO!!  I made a few changes to the pattern:

First, I extended the back yoke approximately 3" towards the front to make more of a contrast with the leather look fabric...that worked beautifully!

 

I added a "placket" opening at the cuff (this pattern does not include it).  Also, the hubby had mentioned black snaps...I found these cool Black flat matte ones on Amazon here).  I love shopping online, you can find just about anything!  I combined a snap and button on the cuff, snaps on remainder of the shirt...

 

 
 

The hubby was a very  "Happy Camper" when I showed it to him after he got home from work Friday night!

This was a fun shirt to make and because it started with his TNT pattern, it made for a quick sew! Do you have a TNT pattern you use for your loved ones?

Thanks so much for stopping by, it's really appreciated!

HAPPY SEWING!







32 comments:

  1. Myra you are quite the shirt maker. That is a gorgeous shirt. If I could get with handling the collar stand maybe I could do this. Really nice, I know he loves it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Faye! You know practice makes perfect! And I've had a lot of practice, LOL!

      Delete
  2. I love that shirt. Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shirt, Myra...hubby is a lucky fella!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Aisha! I think he knows it! (I am too, he's a great guy!!)

      Delete
  4. That looks great and I can just imagine his surprise! What fun you had making that. Win win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh boy was he surprised! He said he loved it better than what he saw because I made it!

      Delete
  5. Your hubby sure is one lucky guy, Myra! The shirt is really sharp. If you have fabric left, maybe you can make a top for you, and you two can match. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Andrea! I may be working at that!

      Delete
  6. Love the shirt! He is indeed a lucky man! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Lisa! I really feel like a lucky woman too!

      Delete
  7. What a nice looking shirt - all the better for the love that went in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Coco! Yes Ma'am, this was definitely a "labor of love" without a lot of labor, LOL!!

      Delete
  8. You are so talented! I know your hubby was pleased with his new shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Vanessa! Yes he was so happy!

      Delete
  9. Myra - the shirt is gorgeous! Is the back a different fabric or is the different fabric only for the collar and cuffs? As I was reading your post I thought that would make a great shirt for me! LOL! So don't be surprised if one "like" it shows up on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Thank you Ms. Carolyn! The collar, back, sleeves and cuffs are all black cotton shirting (link to the fabric in post). The two front section panels are a "leather" look fabric. I think you would look great in a top like this too! Go for it! LOL and Good Luck!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful shirt and surprise! Your love shines through, Myra!

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness Myra! This is so gorgeous! I really wish I could make shirts for my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You can make them too, just takes practice. Give it a try, you may surprise yourself.

      Delete
  12. You did a great job! I should really give this a try for my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes, you should give it a try!

      Delete
  13. Wow! This shirt is beautiful and fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome shirt and love the use of two different fabrics. I purchased that pattern for my guy, but sadly have yet to sew it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Sheila!! You should make one...you'll surprise yourself with how easy it is to create! Once you've made one and created that perfect, you'll want to make more!

      Delete
  15. Wooow great job, I love the fabric combo....

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email