Saturday, December 24, 2016

Sewing During the Holidays

I hope everyone is having a great holiday season and getting some sewing done too!

My sewing the last couple of months, really has no "rhyme or reason"...just what I want at the time.  That's the case with the projects for this post.  I found myself working on casual tops and believe me, they are truly needed in my wardrobe!  I need a lot more of the simple Tees and Sweaters too, so you may see more of them in my posts.

For this project I'm working with an Indie pattern.  It's not my first time, but I've not used them as much as I would like to.  I am going to change that though!  This pattern is from Hot Patterns and it's called the "Joyful" top and my first impression is a "Thumbs Up"!  

 
I used two different pieces of fabric from my stash, the first is a navy and grey, tie-dyed rayon/linen blend.  I believe I purchased this from Hancock fabric quite a while back.  The pattern calls for contrasting fabrics, but I made this top all in one fabric. It was a pretty good weight for the pattern, but I believe light weight, drapey fabrics like rayon chalis work best for the front and ruffle/flounce.  Here's my first one top...

 
 
Based on the pattern design, the shoulders and back yoke could be made from faux leather or suede.  The remaining back portion, could be made from a soft drapey knit like a rayon lycra.  I made a size 12 but ended up having to take the side seams in about an inch each side.  I love the length, so I didn't change that.   I really like this pattern and I love how the back hangs lower than the front!  However, I decided, I really, really did not like the ruffle on me, so for my next version I eliminated the front ruffle/flounce (I may redesign the ruffle/flounce to make it smaller)...

 
 
 
 
Some of you may recognize the black faux leather used for the shoulders and back yoke...it's left over from the hubby's shirt I made recently.  The remaining fabric is a polyester chiffon purchased from Joann Fabric not too long ago.  I wish I had some rayon lycra in black I could have used for the back, that would have been really nice!

I will make another with a combination of three fabrics as suggested by the pattern designer.  I just have to decide on fabric, color and or print.  So I'm headed to my sewing machine to create more tops!

 
 
 
What are you sewing for the holidays?  Please share and thanks for stopping by and reading my post!  I truly appreciate it!!

Merry Christmas and Happy Sewing!

18 comments:

  1. Love the tops, Myra, especially the one with the faux leather contrast. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aisha! That's my favorite too!

      Delete
  2. So pretty! Happy holidays, Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and Happy Holidays to you too!

      Delete
  3. Very pretty tops! Your fabric selection is always amazing. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and hope you had a wonderful Christmas and have a very happy new year!

      Delete
  4. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Have a happy and safe New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomasa! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  5. Really Pretty! How did I miss this post!? I wish I could sew tank tops now! ROFL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! Sorry! Wish I could send you some sunshine and warm weather! (Not R0FL!)

      Delete
  6. Both versions are pretty but I really like the first one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Carolyn! I do like the form of this top and will probably make another...but I have to say, me and the ruffles don't play nice together, LOL!

      Delete
  7. I just came across your blog. I have the same Hot Patterns pattern, too. I'm looking forward to making it after seeing your versions. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email