Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Goals for 2017 & Event Dress

Happy new year everyone!  I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and are all ready to start the new year.  I'm ready and it was a beautiful Ms. Candice from the blog "Sew my time" that prompted my very first goal of 2017.  After reading her recent post I was so moved and totally understood what she meant, so much that I needed to make one of her goals one of mine for 2017!

I only have three simple goals for the year but they mean so much to me and if when I complete each of them, I will have a fabulous 2017!!  Here they are...

1.  Walk in "MY" purpose! Be fearlessly fierce! Do, be, and say what I want!

2.  Set attainable tasks and complete them!

3.  Make the year 2017 my year for success in everything I start or started.

Now for the event dress...to start off my year of sewing is this dress, Butterick 5850.  
 
I'm going on vacation very soon and need a very special dress for an event.  I selected this pattern because it's been in my stash since it was released in 2012 when I fell in love with view B (Black one in the middle). 

I originally wanted to make this dress in a beautiful emerald green stretch velour.  Unfortunately, my search for this specific fabric ended up a huge fail.   However, lucky for me (and very surprising too!) Joann Fabrics had this beautiful, Gold infused black stretch velour!!  It was soft, stretchy and oh I needed to have this now!  In my opinion, the fabric made this dress perfect!
 
 
I LOVE THIS DRESS! (I'll get photos of me in it during vacation!)  However, it did not come without a couple of hiccups!  

Because this dress was special, I didn't want to ruin the fabric, so I made a muslin first. (Yes me...the person who doesn't like making muslins!).  It's a darn good thing I did too because there were a few things I had to change to make this pattern work for me.

1.  The pattern envelope photo shows the view with cut in shoulders.  That is not the case, the shoulders go straight to the shoulder line.  I altered the pattern to make the shoulders more cut in away from the shoulder.

2.  The tie belts were up too high for my taste(and I'm short-waisted!)...I moved them down 1".

3.  The tie belts show the wrong side when tied, so I extended the width of the belt pattern to accommodate me folding them in half and sewing as a tube.  If your fabric looks the same on both sides, this will not be a problem.

4.  The armsync is wayyy to low on this pattern and had an unusual "v" shape.  I raised it by 1-1/2" and reshaped it to a regular curve

These changes made for the perfect special event dress!  What a way to start the new year with a successful project!  I am so looking forward to creating more beautiful clothing!

I'd like to know what your goals are for 2017, please comment and let me know!

As always, thanks for sharing a little of your time with me!  It's appreciated so much!!

Happy Sewing!






38 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress! Enjoy wearing it on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful dress - nice sewing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a special event dress if I ever saw one. THIS IS GORGEOUS Myra! You did the pattern even more justice with your choice of fabric and by creating the racer back. Bravo for you!

    RE: Goals The other night I felt compelled to list 10 sewing related goals in a FB inquiry, but really I could condense them down to 3:
    1) Do me and don't worry about everyone else is doing.
    2) Get and keep my sewing area tidy and organized.
    3) Take the time to practice things like welt pockets and bound buttonholes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww shucks Ms. Faye, thank you! My hubby said the bow makes him feel like he's getting ready to open another present, LOL! I can't wait to wear this dress!

      Sounds like you have some really great goals (and I have to go back and check the FB group to see what your other ones were). I really believe 2017 is going to be a great year for everyone!

      Delete
  4. Myra, this makes my heart so happy that I was able to give a little inspiration, as I often get that and so much more from you and everyone in our sewing community. This dress is gorgeous,Myra, and I can't wait to see you werk this dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Candice! It's great we can all inspire one another! I am so very proud of how this first dress of the year turned out! Especially, since I typically don't make one piece dresses. This is a nice one!

      Delete
  5. Myra, the fabric made the pattern singggggg! Elegant and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress is fantastic! I have this pattern and keep considering making it. Thanks for all the info on the pattern. I will definitely make a muslin if/when I get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Jenny! I think this dress would be beautiful on you, especially for a date night! You should definitely think about giving it a try!

      Delete
  7. I LOVE the dress you made Myra! It is a beautfiful way to start 2017! My main sewing goals for the year are to use what I have, and follow through. I tend to start projects, but not finish. No more UFOs, lol! Either finish, or throw it out and move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Vanessa! Yes, a lot of us have similar goals for 2017… Use what we have and complete things we start, LOL! Good luck on your 2017 goals! I'll be watching you, LOL!

      Delete
  8. Sometimes it's better when a plan doesn't work! This fabric is perfect for this dress and I can't wait to see how amazing it looks on you! And how weird about that armhole.

    Happy 2017! May it be all that you deserve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nakisha! I couldn't agree more! I will post a picture to my IG and FB page once I wear it.

      Delete
  9. Somehow, I think you're going to meet your goals and have a fabulous 2017! Beautiful dress too. It looks like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Laure! I love dressing up and can't wait to wear this one! Everyone should have at least one goal to tackle every year! (If not more)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Beth, thank you!! I really love how it looks on me too!

      Delete
  11. This dress is drop-dead gorgeous! I love your husband's comment on the bow, too! :-) My big goal for 2017 is to make something wearable for me in each month. I mostly buy fabric and patterns and read blogs, get inspired, then go in my sewing room and get scared. I do make a lot of gifts for other people and dresses for my granddaughters, but 2017 will be the year of sewing for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! OMG, yes you should make your self a priority in 2017! No need to be afraid if it doesn't work out, you know what they say… Try, try and try again! Eventually you will get it right… we all did! Good luck on your projects in 2017!

      Delete
  12. Wow, stunning dress - enjoy wearing it at your special event. I have this pattern in my stash and was just looking at it the other day, I really must get around to using it soon. Maybe that will be my little 2017 goal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison! I've had this pattern in my stash since it was released in 2012 and I am so happy I finally pulled it out and made it! Give it a try, you might like it! Good luck to you!

      Delete
  13. Such a beautiful dress! I also enjoyed learning how you used a muslin to perfect your fit. Enjoy wearing your dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regina!! I believe if I had not used a Muslin, I would have ruined the fabric!

      Delete
  14. That fabric is divine! The alterations made to the pattern make that a really stand-out dress.

    I suppose my biggest sewing goal is to reduce my sewing stash so it fits all in one place. Currently it's under the bed, in all the closets and in the garage. To achieve this goal I have to reduce the amount of fabric I buy all the time, and I have to sew A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Clara! Stash busting is fun (if you have time to sew!). I have another idea to help reduce your stash, send it to me! LOL!!

      Delete
  15. What a great dress! I love to see sewists use patterns from their stash--I have so many that seem 'old' but aren't. They are out of print or not in the books anymore but worth sewing up! Thanks for bringing this into the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana and you're very welcome! Yes I have tons of (old) patterns too! They always come back around at some point too!

      Delete
  16. This dress is beautiful, absolutely gorgeous - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa! I can't say how excited I am to wear it!

      Delete
  17. Myra, this dress is so absolutely beautiful! That fabric definitely took it to another level. I made this same dress in 2015 and now I remember some of the issues you mentioned. I made it with a woven and I didn't like the fit at all. After seeing yours, I may give it another try in the future (maybe). You are going to look so stunning in your dress. I can't wait to see the photos. Thanks for sharing. You're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Anita, you're too kind! Thank you so much! I don't think I will ever make this dress in a woven because of the problems I had making it. Besides that, I really love knits too! They're so forgiving when it comes to fitting!

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous dress and the fabric was perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Sheila! Yes, this fabric is perfect!!

      Delete
  19. What a gorgeous dress! I'm glad you were able to find the fabric you wanted. Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email