Friday, April 7, 2017

Jeans Challenge

 
Another challenge? Yes Siree!  This one I just could not pass up! I needed a really great fitting pair of Jeans that I didn't have to spend $200 plus on! For this challenge I selected the "Closet Case Ginger Jean pattern. This pattern has two versions and I selected it because of the "low rise" version. Typically, I get low rise jeans because I am short waisted and  they fit me just below my normal waist line, which is perfect!  I purchased this pattern as a PDF download, here  However, you can also purchase a printed copy there as well.
 
I started off by making a muslin using fabric from my stash which is a cream colored stretch corduroy. Comparing my measurements against the patterns, I decided to select a size larger than my normal, even though the pattern calls for stretch fabric.(That turned out to be a big mistake!) The jeans ended up being too large! This pattern actually runs true to size in my opinion. (Wish I had known that before!). So I ended up taking the jeans in at the side seams approximately a half-inch.  Now the fit was much better but on my actual project I will go down a size. Below are the before and after of my Muslin...
  
After I added the waistband, I noticed that I had a large gap in the back (approximately 1-1/2 inches!).  This truly surprised me because the waist band pattern piece is actually a curved line which I prefer.  It just wasn't enough curve for my body. (And I don't really have an "hour-glass" figure either, LOL!) So the next adjustment I made, was to make the waistband curve more at the waist. I copied the waistband pattern piece and then folded it into four quarters.  I unfolded and slit the waistband along those four crease lines but not all the way through.
 
Then I overlapped each of the four sections by a 1/2". Now I have my curved waistband that fit my body perfectly.
  
I used the low rise version for my muslin and quickly realized I wanted them to be more of a skinny jeans style. So I decided to combine both patterns and make mine a "low rise skinny jean".   There was only one other change that I made purely for my satisfaction…I removed 1/2" height from the waistband. I did this because I wanted the waistband to appear more like the RTW styles. All in all, I made three actual changes to the original pattern…
  • Duplicate view B legs (skinny)
  • Added more curve to waistband removing 1-1/2"
  • Remove 1/2 " height from waistband
All of these adjustments were purely for my taste except for the extra curve to the waistband (this was a necessity!). Without further ado, here are photos of my Closet Case Ginger Jeans...
   
  
 
 
 Next up is a pair of jeans inspired by a pair I saw in a movie called "Obession". Beyoncé was wearing them in the movie and it was one of those moments you tell yourself, "can I make those? Yes, I bet I can!"  For those of you who know me, know it was a no brainer I was gonna try!  Here is the inspiration photo and my version...
 
  
 
  
 
To create this inspiration, I used the Jalie Eleonore Pull On Jean pattern as my base. It was easy enough to use and all I had to do was create the pockets and all of the style lines.  Below are a few photos of my process:
  
 

This was a great challenge and I truly enjoyed it.  I also found the perfect TNT Jean pattern...The Closet Case Ginger Jean!  I love this pattern and will be using it whenever I need a new pair of jeans!

What new pattern have you fallen in love with?

Thanks for stopping by and sharing a little of your time with me, it's so much appreciated!

Happy Sewing!

28 comments:

  1. Both pairs of your jeans are truly amazing. Love your couture fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faye! This was a great challenge and I really like your jeans too day were so nice, I can't wait to see them on you! There were so many nice jeans in this challenge, everyone did very well!

      Delete
  2. You did such a great job Myra! I love the end result of the Closet Case File Ginger Jeans. They make a lovely TNT pattern for you. And your inspiration jeans are awesome! I remember that movie, and those jeans. Ha! You make it all look easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vanessa! I truly love the way the classic case of ginger Jean fits me and the fact that I have a go to pattern whenever I need a new pair of jeans! To be honest, they truly were very easy to make! You should give them a try.

      Delete
  3. Wow both of your version look fantastic on you. Great job. I love the animal print ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The animal print are my favorite too! I think I'm going to remake the designed ones because I want them in a different (more stretch) fabric. The denim are used to make them was more of a non-stretch and a little stiffer, which is not my preference. Just something I had in my stash I wanted to get rid of.

      Delete
  4. wow you are a jeans magician! they both look great and the details on the 2nd pair are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! No magician here...just like you, love sewing and making beautiful fitting clothing! Thank you Beth!

      Delete
  5. Beth said it right, Myra. You truly are a Jean Magician! I just love your attention to details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Andrea! I am not always good at the details? But this time I really tried to pay attention!

      Delete
  6. Wow! both jeans look great on you! You have inspired me to get off my butt and try these. I have both patterns and have made the Eleanores with more tweaks needed. Your waistband fit info was most helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! You should definitely give them a try, it was so very rewarding when I completed them! I'm so happy you found my waistband adjustment helpful! I love sharing! (Especially when I remember to post it, LOL!)

      Delete
  7. Amazing jeans! Both of these patterns have been on my to-sew list for a while. It is good to know they both worked out for you so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you should make them! Good luck!

      Delete
  8. Wow...both jeans turned out fantastic! Love them both. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!! I'm so in love with both pairs!!! Thank you for leaving your link in the video, I didn't know where I could find your blog)) These jeans are bombs! Seriously!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Valeria! I loved yours too and your video on them! I've learned during this challenge that jeans are one of those things you just have to keep working on to perfect them! (That is if you really want to make your own!)

      Delete
  10. Wow Myra! You did such an amazing job. Both pairs look great. And what a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YESSSS! Both pair are awesome!! I too am a huge fan of the ginger jeans, but your knockoff pair are ON POINT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tasha! I love both pair of jeans and it's always fun to have something unique!

      Delete
  12. I like both pair of jeans! You look great as usual. Thanks for sharing what you did with the waist band. A great idea...Curved fits and look best on me too. I have to try the Ginger Jeans. Where did you get the animal print fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can't say enough how much I love the Ginger Jean pattern!! I purchased the fabric from my favorite "brick & mortar" store in Sarasota Florida, Pennie Fabrics!

      Delete
  13. Your jeans look great, you did an Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally always have to take out wedges like that on waistbands and I'm kind of flat back there. LOL. It's like jeans aren't made for womens' bodies! Good thing we sew.
    Okay, the cheetah are fantastic and wearable with like anything, but the second jeans and all the topstitching/welt pockets? Mind blown! Did you add that front seam under the pockets, or is that just stitching?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Elizabeth! Yes you are absolutely correct, it is a good thing we sew! To answer your question, the seam under the pockets is actually another pocket. There are two pockets stitched onto the jeans. Hope that answers your question!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email