Monday, April 17, 2017

Sewing The Past Week?

This blog is going to combine several small projects. I had several different projects I was working on for several various reasons. All of those will be included in this blog just so I can get you all caught up on what I've been doing over the past week.
 
First up, I joined the "2017 Tops That Pop" challenge over at Faye's Sewing Adventure blog.  It runs for two weeks, April 15 through the 30th. I plan on making a few tops (because they are much needed for me right about now!). That's why you'll be seeing a lot of tops in spring/summer posts!

So let's get started…

1. First up is New Look 6415 (I made view C). This was a quick and easy top to make and I'm sure it will get a lot of wear this summer! I purchased the fabric from Pennie Fabrics in Sarasota, FL (sorry no online presence).  While I'm not sure of the fabric content, it does have horizontal stretch but very little vertical stretch. (Perfect for this top).
  

2. Next is a Tee for my hubby (yes the men's tops count in the challenge too! LOL!). I made this top by copying an old RTW baseball Tee of my husband's. (One that he loved and had worn out).  I created new pattern pieces so I can make future Tees like this for him easily! The fabric (grey colored) was in an auction box I won from Knitpop fabrics. It is extremely soft and I believe is a rayon knit. The contrast black, is a rayon lycra knit from JoAnn Fabrics. He absolutely fell in love with it when he saw it and I love it on him too!
  

3. Now for the last one…this could have ended up a huge "wadder"! (For those who don't sew, "Wadder" is a sewing slang meaning "fail") However, it didn't… instead it is a "dress turned top", which now makes it part of the "Tops That Pop" challenge too!  

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know that I have a problem with dresses on my body type! I can do two piece dressing all day, but when it comes to a full dress, we just don't see eye to eye! The fabric was purchased from JoAnn fabrics and I used New Look 6488 to create it (version C dress).  Unfortunately, I didn't like the way it looked on me, so this dress ended up my last Top for the week....
  
  

I have a few more tops that I want to crank out before the end of this challenge, so I have to get the work room buzzing!

Thank you Ms. Faye for having another Tops Challenge...It was right on time!!

Happy Sewing!

28 comments:

  1. Hi, I love all three of the tops. Interesting that you don't like dresses--I really like the dress on you, but I happen to mostly wear dresses. On the other hand I find matched suits too much of one thing. Not sure why my eye sees those two as different either. Good luck making cute summer tops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Myra! I really like all of those. I need to get to top making too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise! Good luck with your tops too!!

      Delete
  3. Great tops [and nice that you did hubby a shirt too..smile]. I thought the dress turned top, looked really pretty on you. Like it as a dress and as a top.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy!! It was really tough cutting it off, but I knew if I didn't I would never wear that dress!

      Delete
  4. You are amazing to have done so many tops already! I have only just begun, LOL! The dress was awesome, but it was good to turn it into a top that you liked a lot more. Your hubby's shirt is such a nice Vneck! You were smart to make a template of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa thanks!
      I really enjoy sewing and I am blessed to be retired and have some extra time to do a lot more sewing! Of course now my hubby expects to join in on the fun too!

      Delete
  5. Your new tops are going to make summer dressing fun! Can't wait to see what else is coming. I'm sure DH is also thrilled that you've made pattern pieces from his favorite shirt so that he can have more anytime! Cause it's a great shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! Like you, I truly enjoy sewing and Faye's challenges for tops is always welcome in my sewing room! And of course when she included it "all tops", that opened the door for my hubby's, LOL!

      Delete
  6. Three tops all ready, you are on fire. They look great. You have inspired me- you do have that affect on people. I'm off now to cut out my first top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! You know I love inspiring people and I have a great new media platform to do so, thanks to you!

      Delete
  7. Myra, I like the dress on you! It is really cute. Refashioning it into a top is pretty too. Your hubby looks adorable in his new top. I am sure he is proud of you. Whenever, I sew clothing for my husband he tells everybody about it. I made him a pair of jeans last year and now his friends want me to make them some jeans too, oh no!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Patricia, that's really funny and I hope my husband doesn't tell all of his friends because "I ain't sewing for nobody else!" Thank you so much for your kind comments!

      Delete
  8. Love your tops and the dress was beautiful. I think you looked gorgeous in that dress! Regardless, YOU must be happy with it. You turned the dress into a beautiful top - love it. And your hubby's top looks great too - very smart of you to make a pattern of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomasa! I am very happy with the final results!

      Delete
  9. You are such a great influence and my helper. You did a wonderful job on your top creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! You know I love making tops and your challenge is an inspiration and motivation for me!

      Delete
  10. You've been so prolific in this challenge! They all look so great. I really like the floral dress turned top--it's a great style with the shorts, and it's a good scale on you. Keep up the great work. You've been so inspiring me with your tops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth! I'm really happy to be able to inspire anyone!!

      Delete
  11. Hi Myra, I've been reading your blog for a little while now. I wanted to say hello and tell you that I've enjoyed all your makes. Your dress really looks pretty on you, but it's important that you feel pretty wearing it. By refashioning it as a top gives you more versatility by pairing it with shorts, pants or a skirt. Also, I've enjoyed watching you on "That Sewing Blab". You're a natural. Can't wait to see what you make next. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Sandra, you're such a sweet person! Thank you so much for your kind comments,they truly are appreciated! I'm really happy you enjoy the show, but I have to admit, because I'm new at "that Sewing blab" I am a little nervous because I want everyone to enjoy the show. Only time and experience will help that! I love Sewing clothing and everything related to Sewing fashion and hope it shows!

      Delete
  12. Glad I decided to pop over to your blog. I have New Look 6145 too, but got discouraged after a winter "wadder", after seeing your version, will be fishing it out of my stash. Don't you just love Knitpop, they do have good knit. Great job and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! You should give it a try! I really is a nice pattern! I love knitpop fabrics and don't own enough!

      Delete
  13. Very beautiful, Myra. Your top challenge is going so well. The dress looked really nice on you. But it also looks beautiful as a top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Olivia! I really appreciate it!!

      Delete
  14. Lovely pieces and the dress looked great on you, but understand when a garment needs to be tweaked. Your hubby looks cool in his t-shirt. I need to get a clakking on sewing for my guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I'm really starting to enjoy sewing for him! Before I was just doing selfish sewing (just for myself!)

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email