Thursday, October 26, 2017

My First Anorak Jacket

Hello and what’s up folks!  I have been busy working on a few items and it’s so nice to have my “Sewjo” back!  Things are always wonderful when I can sew!  This is going to be a post to tell you about little jacket I just completed.  It should have been done a couple of months ago for my vacation...better late than never, as they say!  Either way, it’s just in time for the cooler weather here (if we get any cool weather!).  My project is the popular Closet Case Kelly Anorak jacket (and my very first Anorak jacket too!).  After I saw a gorgeous jacket done by the lovely Ms. Anita from the blog “Anita By Design”, I knew I had to have one!  Her’s was so stylish!  If you’ve not seen Anita’s, you should check it out here.

I purchased this really pretty (in my opinion) camouflage stretch Denim.  Of course, it came from one of my favorite fabric stores...Michael Levine and you can purchase it here if you like it too.  

The pattern has great and very detailed instructions.  As long as you follow them, you’ll be just fine.  The instructions do not include lining, so I opted not to this line mine either.  However, you can follow the instructions on the Closet Case blog to “interline” your jacket.  I live in Florida and it hardly ever gets that cold here. I also decided to make mine a little larger than my normal size 10 and opted for size 12 so in the event it did get cold here, I can throw on a long sleeve sweater or tee and it would fit under the jacket.  Beside, I just like the “oversized” look on me too. 
  

If you ask me, Closet Case did an awesome job on the styling and instruction with this pattern!  It took me a little while to complete (a few hours over 3 days), but I definitely see myself making another very with some different styling of my own! (Wink, wink!).  Regarding changes, I only made two...there were purely cosmetic for my liking.  One, I lowered the standup collar by 1”, because my neck isn’t that tall and the second was to add a “snap” to the back flap because I love the look!

So if you like this style of jacket, I would highly recommend this pattern!  I definitely plan on making another version for myself!  If you’d like to here more about this jacket, it will be posted on my YouTube channel (link in the right navigation bar).

Thanks again for stopping by my little portion of the sewing world, it’s greatly appreciated!

HAPPY SEWING!



18 comments:

  1. Your jacket is gorgeous! So fun in the camouflage. AND may I say you are giving off serious model vibes in these photos. AND AND I love your new (at least since I've seen you) braids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Ms. Jenny, thank you! I really miss you! My hair is left over from vacation...easier to deal with and it will be coming down soon.

      Delete
  2. this is stunning! and I love your fabric. Good idea to go up a size - it looks perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I truly can't say enough how much I love this jacket!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful job, Myra!! This is not a little jacket by any means! Your jacket is phenomenal, and I love that you sized up for a little more room. I laughed when you said you sewed it in 3 days. 3 days!?! My muslin took 3 weeks, lol! I hope to have that type of turnaround and quality one day in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa! I can't say enough how much I love this jacket! LOL!...3 weeks really?? You are too cute! Everyone has their own pace in sewing! The only time I had something that took me longer than a week, it was someone's wedding dress (4 weeks), SHE kept making changes! (and that stopped me from sewig for others too, LOL!)

      Delete
  4. You look great Myra!!
    I'm wearing my Kelly today lol it's so cold here right now.
    Also, I don't know if you knew, but Heather released a full lining expansion pack if you want to line your next jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Tasha!! Yes I did see that and may use it on my next version! Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myra that is really a sweet jacket!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! It was fun making it too!

      Delete
  7. Awesome Jacket. I love the Anarok style and what a fabulous print.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Myra, I loved the jacket and all the detail-Wow, so much impressive adornment-big zipper, snaps, slanted gusseted pockets, stand up collar, back flap-wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms Phyllis! I truly appreciate all the kind comments! While this was a lot of work, it was a lot of fun to do!

      Delete
  9. I love your jacket! I bought this pattern and hardware kit. Have yet to give it a try and now I can't find the hardware kit!!!!! I like the fabric you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! It was fun jacket to make! I hope you find your find your hardware kit!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....