Sunday, May 16, 2010

A cartoon legend on the cutting table!

I'm a huge Betty Boop fan and for those who don't know her, she's  an animated vixen from the 1930's.  Betty Boop made her first appearance on August 9, 1930 in the cartoon Dizzy Dishes, the sixth installment in Fleischer's Talkartoon series. She was little like her soon-to-be-famous self, however. Grim Natwick, a veteran animator of both Walt Disney's and Ub Iwerks' studios, was largely responsible for creating the character.  Grim modeled Betty Boop around Helen Kane, a famous singer, who also performed as an actress at Paramount Pictures, the studio that distributed Fleischer's cartoons.


My grandmother introduced me to Betty Boop when I was very young and I've been drawn to her every since. I love her sultry look and even pondered the notion of getting a small Betty Boop tattoo!  So imagine my surprise when I laid eyes on this great fabric at Hancock Fabrics!  It was soooo cute, a little "Baby Boop" and I just had to have it!  


It's a soft cotton fleece on one side and a shiny satiny on the other.  I purchased it and decided to do my own thing and drape a nightgown that even Ms. Betty Boop would love to wear!  I'm a newbie at draping, so I'm not that good and this is a "wee" bit of a risk, but I'm praying I won't mess up!  (I did make a muslin first!)  It's currently on my cutting table and should be done tomorrow.   Check back for the end result and wish me luck! (I'm going to need it!)

Happy Sewing!




1 comment:

  1. I'll wish you luck, but I don't think you're going to need it!!

    Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....