Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cool Summer Top with an Animal Flair

There's a tiger on the prowl in my living room!  No not really, just this really cute fabric I found at JoAnn Fabrics.  It's a tiger print in 100% rayon, very cool fabric and very easy to work with.  For this fabric I decided to use a pattern that's normally designed for knit fabrics.  I selected McCalls pattern 5586 which I fouind very easy to make with using the rayon fabric.


This is a Crafty Misses Top pattern with three style options. The pattern sizes run 4 thru 20.  I made size 12 to accommodate for the lack of "stretch" in the fabric.  It looked somewhat like the picture on the pattern envelope, with a minor style change on my part.  The instructions were very easy to follow and I really liked working with this pattern because it was quick and easy! 

The minor style change:  I decided to make a contrast neck facing in a black cotton knit (which I interfaced) and using a glue gun, added "shiny" black beads to the neck area in the front only.  Let's just say, I need a LOT more experience with my glue gun...what a challenge!  I kept getting too much glue and it was showing on the outside of my beads! and the strings of glue, Oh My Gosh!  I will definitely practice more and if any of you know what I'm doing wrong, please advise! I can use all the help I can get!


It worked out well I must say and is now one of my favorite tops!  I've had this pattern for a while but this is the first top I've made from it.  There were no real dislikes with this pattern and I'd highly recommend it to everyone!  I will definitely be making another for myself!

I'm currently working on a top for work, nothing fancy, just a stretch cotton button front. I'll post that one next.  Happy Sewing!

6 comments:

  1. That's lovely.... As for the glue gun, maybe you could try to use rhinestones that can be sewn on instead... I dislike using glue gun as it always leaves strands of glue.... I hope I can get my hands on this pattern soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty top and you have inspired me after seeing your lovely top. I have that pattern and then lost my interest, but your top came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your version of this top!

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....